a good deal?

Dave

saw this advertised at wal-mart. is this a good deal or am i missing something?

HP Pavillion 533w-b computer
2.0 ghz intel celeron processor
256mb sdram memory
integrated intel extreme graphics w/up to 64mb shared video memory
60gb hd
cd writer/dvd combo pack
10/100 base t network interface
17" color monitor
HP deskjet 3320v photo-quality color printer w/USB cable

$698

A.B.Normal

P4 is the processor.Newer Celerons are based on the P4 architecture,but with a reduced L2 cache .The P4 works best with Rdram ,okay with DDRam ,but shouldn't be used with Sdram.

Dave

what type of slow are we talking about? horribly noticable lag with games/browsing (the only thing i use the computer for) or fractions of a second?

A.B.Normal

For a sub $700 ,that would perform great,but for approximately same $ you could get better performance.

Check out this link
• 1.67GHz AMD Athlon 2000+ processor
• 128MB DDR memory
• 40GB Ultra DMA hard drive with free upgrade to 7200rpm
$489.00

it doesn't include a Printer or monitor ,but I'd prefer to buy them seperately.I bought a HP as my first comp and the printer and Monitor were low end and I ended up spending more $$ in 6mnths to replace them anyway.

A.B.Normal

Dimension 4550 $869.00,the only options I would change were upgrade to 17"monitor and upgraded to a GF4 Ti4200.This system would kick some serious BUTT.With the $100 mail in rebate its only $769 :eek:

Attachment(s):

p4.jpg, 96.20kb

157_1038286285.jpg

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
It looks pretty good, and I've been pretty happy with my wifes Dell. The only thing I'd do is look at another stick of Ram, bump it up to 512 now.

The pentum 4 performs best in high bandwidth situations, SDRAM cannot provide such a great bandwidth, plus the celeron P4 is a dog, i'd rather a TBird 1.4 and SDRAM over that any day.

whoreable

my roomate just got n emachine. it is pretty good. it is a 2200xp with 512 ddr 100gb hd and cd-rw/dvd...we added a gf4 4200 and it is quite nice.i think it cost him about that much. although it didn't come with a monitor there are some amazingly cheap monitor deals around.

Altron

DONT get HP!
My dad has one. For about a week it would not boot at all, and it crashes a lot. Dell's are just OK. Very nice reliability records (mine has crashed twice in 6 months)
I would build one if I was in your position. I found a nice 1600+ setup at newegg for about $500
This is a nice budget gaming system
Athlon 1800+
KT266A mobo
Geforce 3 Ti 200 //GF4MX is just a fancy GF2Ultra
256-512MB PC2100

Dave

i've actually owned nothing but HP machines. never had any problems with them.
looking into Dell now. some decent online prices. this is beginning to feel like buying a car. i want this option, that option, can live without that one. this model has a better processor.....

another question if i may.
can the type of ram be changed by switching a card or are they all different pin sets/sizes?

PT

They are different pin layouts 168 and 184 if I remember correctly. There are some motherboards out there that take sdram or ddr, they just have two slots for each, but I personally wouldn't trust them. Just go with DDR now, it will only pay off in the long run.

Have you considered building your own system? Dell and E-Machinesare making it tougher and tougher to justify it pricewise, but there is still a great deal of satisfaction to building your own.

A.B.Normal

The "type" of RAM (SDRAM,DDR,RDRAM) is determined by the Motherboard and cannot be changed .The amount of RAM (128MB,256MB) can easily be upgraded.There are/were motherboards that support both SDRAM AND DDR ,but these were for the older Athlons and not AthlonXP or Intel processors.

Dave

Have you considered building your own system?

no. actually i haven't. is it a difficult thing or more "insert board A into slot B"?
i obviously know nothing about hardware so the learning curve would have to be pretty steep.

PT

Closer to insert board A into slot A, but it really is quite simple, and there are several people here on this board, or over at XiBase and HWC that live to help people like you.

Altron

NEWEGG.COM dude!
Lets see you want a budget PC?
how about this

Part Model

CPU AMD Athlon XP 1600+
Board EPOX EP-8KHAL+
Graphics ATI AIW 7500 64MB
Memory 256MB Samsung PC2100
Sound Creative Audigy Platnium
CPU Extras CPU Copper Shim

Hard Drive Western Digital WD800JB
DVD-ROM SONY DDU1621 16x/40x
CD-RW Sony CRX210E1 48x/12x/48x
Floppy Sony MPF920-Z

Case Antec Plus 660AMG
Power Supply Antec TruePower 330

CPU Thermaltake Volcano 9
Thermal Compound Arctic Silver III

Total $834.99

I have a few setups saved on my PC
If you want better performance, try this

Main
CPU AMD Athlon XP 2400+
Board Epox 8RDA+
Graphics Gainward Ultra 650 XP
Memory Corsair XMS PC3200 512MB
CPU Extras CPU Copper Shim
Storage
Hard Drive Western Digital WD800JB
Optical 1 SONY DDU1621 16x/40x
Optical 2 Sony CRX210E1 48x/12x/48x
Floppy "Sony MPF920-Z
"
IDE Cable 36" ATA/100 Cable
Floppy Cable 18" Floppy Cable
Enclosure
Case Antec SX1040BII
Cooling
CPU Swiftech MC-462+
CPU Fan Sunon 80mm Medium
Case fans Sunon 80mm Medium
Thermal Compound Arctic Silver III
Accessories
Acc 1 Cable Ties
Total $980.88 (without motherboard, it's not released yet)

Or for seriously hardcore

Main
CPU AMD Athlon XP 2400+ x 2
Board Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+
Graphics Gainward Geforce 3 Ti 450
Memory Mushkin 512MB PC2100 x 2
CPU Extras Athlon Copper Shims x 2
Storage
Hard Drive Western Digital WD800JB x 2
Optical 2 Sony CRX210E1 48x/12x/48x
Floppy "Sony MPF920-Z
"