A quick refresher

HomeLAN

So, when you flip the power on for a system on an old AT mobo and both the power and HDD LED's flash, but nothing spins, that's power supply, right?

And when you plug a different PSU into just the mobo and flip that on, and you get beeep-beeeep-beeeep ad infinitum, that means it took at least the RAM with it when the PSU blew, right?

My brother is sooo going to hate this phone call....

Yep, I believe you're on target. Now have fun with the call. Be sure to ask about the kids.

or better. ask if you can get one of his kids on the phone, instead of him.
kids handle things like this a lot better :D

He has no kids. I'm gonna have to let him choose between trying to resurrect this k6-3 450 (which may require several pieces), or just updating to a new mobo/RAM/chip and hope that it didn't get to his HD.

Why not test the hdd in a machine of yours just to check if it is ok?

So, when you flip the power on for a system on an old AT mobo and both the power and HDD LED's flash, but nothing spins, that's power supply, right?

An ide cable hooked up backwards will do that as well, although i'm not certain all the leds will come on in that circumstance.

Nix, I could, but I'll wait to see how far he wants to go with it, first. Hex, it isn't a backwards IDE cable. The machine simply started this without the case having even been opened. Yeah, fury, it's 168 pin stuff.

Back