A rant!

Jeslek

Banned
Here is the natural progression:

(Microsoft) Age of Empires: 1 game CD per 3 people playing on a LAN.
(Blizzard) Starcraft: 1 game CD per 8 people playing on a LAN.

(Microsoft) Age of Kings: 1 game CD 3 people, but you need to start up with a CD and can then hotswap it

(Microsoft) Age of Mythology: 1 game CD per person, hot swapping very tricky
(Blizzard) Warcraft III: 1 game CD per person

This is insane. We aren't buying 4 - 6 games! Starcraft was decent in that it allowed up to 8 people to multiplayer off one CD. Even Age of Empires was fine with the 1 CD per 3 people. But these new games? They all have SafeDisc and whatnot on it. In reality, they want us to go out there and buy a CD for every person. Gah. I'm not doing that. And unless they start playing more civilized, I'm burning copies for my friends, and I just burn the SafeDisc technology right onto the CDs that I give out.

:mad2:

Jeslek

Banned
Jedi Outcast is good though... install on any number of computers and you can play multiplayer on a class C network with no CDs. That means you can play on a LAN, but not online, which is OK in my opinion. :) But M$ and BliZZard is starting to annoy me quite badly.

Dave

damn hex! keep it down!! you're going to wake the damn dog and get him barking with all this yelling.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I think we can make backups of our originals here too. If not, I've been breaking the law. :shrug:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
You're allowed to make backup copied here in Ontario provided that ONLY one copy is in use at a time for every copy that you bought.

So, you can make 50 copies of one CD if you want but it is only legal to be using one copy at a time. ie. it can only be installed on one machine.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
The same is true for music CDs. You can make a back up copy if you want to protect the original but if you only boughton copy you can not legally have one copy in your car say and one copy at home.

Jeslek

Banned
Nixy said:
So, you can make 50 copies of one CD if you want but it is only legal to be using one copy at a time. ie. it can only be installed on one machine.
No, that is not what my EULA said. I can install my Windows XP on as many computers as I want, provided its not used to make a profit. Same goes for my 2000 Server, SQL server, Office, and the rest of the stuff that comes with MSDN. It depends on which company you're dealing with.