Alanis Morissette Becomes U.S. Citizen

Winky

Thu Feb 17, 7:43 AM ET

LOS ANGELES - Canadian Alanis Morissette is now an American citizen.

The 30-year-old singer was among some 4,500 people who took the
citizenship oath during a ceremony last week at the Los Angeles
Convention Center.

morrissett.jpg

"There was a turning point during the ceremony where I felt
connected to this country in a way that I didn't quite expect,"
she said. "America has been really great to me and I have felt
welcomed since the day I came here."

Morissette's songs include "Ironic" and "You Oughta Know."

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
don't let the door hit you in the ass, you fuckin bitch.
wait...maybe just a little. Let me close it for you.

SLAM

MrBishop

Maybe its because she spent all of last year slamming the country and the GVT of the country that she just moved to.

Ironic indeed!

DFisherman

Professur said:
Haha. You took her. Now keep her. Dunno who's dumber.

It's funny, actually, as I have a friend who is a (jazz) singer and an American that's taking her oath of Canadian citizenship next week. I guess there some sort of zero-sum tally being kept of cross-border entertainers.

Now there's a few more Canadian "artists" I wouldn't mind trading for some double-plus-good US entertainers.

Cheers,

- DFisherman

Winky

two words

tax

break

Escape from Canadian taxes that is.

Swimmin' pools
Movie Stars
Hills that is!

greenfreak

I don't understand the big deal, or the hostility. Why is she such a bad person for wanting to be a citizen of both countries?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I don't like her on a more personality level. I don't give a crap where she hangs her hat.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Standing backstage at some big tour dealie, one of the Lollapalooza type things.

Bands go by on their way onstage, most totally ignore who's around, some nod and/or say hi, business as usual, everyone just stays out of their way.

But when she comes near onstage, everyone's cleared off. Noone's good enough to stand on the same floor she's on.

All these years, I've never heard of her not being rude and imperious.

greenfreak

I'm so glad I asked, insider information!! :D I like hearing that celebrities are cool IRL but most of the time you hear that they're not. Someone got slighted somewhere. Then again, I can think they're an asshole and still like their music, or vice versa. Like Madonna. I dislike her, but I typicaly like her music.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
"There was a turning point during the ceremony where I felt connected to this country in a way that I didn't quite expect,"

My guess is, right after comparing tax rates.