Amy Winehouse

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Just wondering what you guys think of her. I like her music, but have to say that I'm a bit disturbed by it as well, this Rehab song sounds like an attempt to glorify not going to rehab by a person that could obviously gain some benefit by doing so. I realize that character has never really played a part in the decisions to give out the grammys, but I find it disturbing that they gave her so many, and what kind of effect that will have on the young people that listen to the music...

greenfreak

I completely agree. With all the stick thin, drunk and/or drugged out dirtbags out there, it's getting harder and harder to find young female singers or actresses to look up to.

You ever see these two pictures?

winehouse270706_544x600.jpg

Amazing, isn't it?

Now I'm not going to deny that a lot of the great music, especially in the 70's, was probably written and performed under the influence. But there are just so many airhead dirtbag women right now. :eh:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I still have no idea who she is. A singer is all I can figure out.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I haven't heard any of her stuff, but she's supposed to be pretty good. As far as those pictures go, she looks more human on the right.

OldHippie

The Girl has a talent thats for sure. Hopefully the powers that guide her can get her the help she needs before she becomes another asterick in the OD Hall of Fame. Those pics are amazing.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Yeah, Greenie, I've seen those pics, I'm assuming the left is recent, not sure how much time elapsed between those though. She performed live at the Grammys, via satellite. Apparently she wasn't drug free long enough to get a visa to come to the US and do it in person, but then they reversed the decision, after she decided to just do it via satellite. It was a decent performance, I'm still left wondering at her reactions to winning after that performance though, I thought at first she was stoned out of her mind, then thought perhaps she was just truly overwhelmed by winning. Still not real sure, but I'd have to lean towards the stoned.

I guess that's it, it bothers me greatly that the singers of today are like this, stoned out of their mind or drunk all the time, Britney, not sure what the fuck is wrong with her, besides just nuts... And all the gangsta wannabes that seem to invade the teen listening choices of today. I know, I'm probably just old, Motley Crue and Bon Jovi were party hard and screw anything that moves, I guess I shouldn't bitch. It just really sucks when you find yourself thinking what your parents thought 20 years ago...

Inkara1

I remember those pics being posted here once, and I called for a moment of silence for the death of her rack.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
PT, the difference is, our junkies died & got more famous for it. Todays junkie has doctors on call.

kuulani

I like her music too ... but I'm kinda boycotting it ... I know a lot of friends/acquaintences who loved Rehab when it came out ... and they all drink and drive and smoke pot and whatever else they do ... it's just not a laughing matter to me.

BlurOfSerenity

it did become bizarrely hilarious when she did go to rehab twice. like, only because of her rehab song, not because it is actually hilarious when people go to rehab.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I saw her do a song this weekend. (back when she was an attravtive female singer instead of a speedfreak).

I liked her voice but her syle (at least on this song) made her sound drunk. Zero enunciation. Slurring. run-ons words.
Is that common with her?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
She's a complete waste of time. Minimal talent paired with the marketing machine put her on the hot list for awhile. She apparently couldn't handle even minimal success. Now she'll be a footnote at best. Get her obituary ready, it'll run in a handful of years.

The differences between Amy Winohouse and Janis Joplin: Janis could sing, and Janis could hold her liquor. Amy can do neither. That doesn't bode for a long career in the music business. Unless your name is Ozzy Osbourne. Somehow.

She's put herself on the scrapheap. She's the only one capable of taking herself off it. My $20 says she won't. Classic case of wasted potential, ala Kurt Cobain, Shannon Hoon, Keith Whitley, et al.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
MTVHD had a concert of hers last night. We watched it (JIP'd). The music was fun...sorta 40s dance meets techno-reggae. She cannot sing a word that is understandable. Nice ta-ta's though.