An update on the International "Court"

Jeslek

Banned
Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/americas/newsid_2126000/2126403.stm

Supporters of the new global war crimes court have reacted with anger to a United Nations compromise that exempts American peacekeepers from any prosecution.

The UN Security Council voted unanimously for the 12-month exemption - to be renewed annually - to end a bitter row threatening peacekeeping operations.

Ah, 12 months immunity renewed every 12 months... sounds like a good deal.

But America warned of "serious consequences" if the International Criminal Court (ICC) ever arrested a member of the US military.

Congress authorized the use of deadly force to free American citizens kidnapped by foreign States.

Ambassador Heinbecker told reporters: "We think this is a sad day for the United Nations.

:D :headbang:

Human rights groups attacked the deal.

But they give China the olympic games of 2008.

Overall, I think the UN got off easily. The threat of a veto from the US must have struck home on many fronts. lol. ;)

Ardsgaine

LastLegionary said:
Overall, I think the UN got off easily. The threat of a veto from the US must have struck home on many fronts. lol. ;)

I'm not as pleased. :grumpy: In the first place, this makes us look like hypocrites: "Oh, the ICC is fine for everyone else, but we're not going to play by the same rules." We should have opposed it on principle, and either vetoed it or gotten the heck out of the UN.

What's worse, though, is that now we'll have to fight this battle every 12 months, and the next time we get a Democrat in office, he'll quietly cave in. Bush gets to look like a hero to most while actually selling us down the river in stages.