And its still cheaper...

spike

The new XBox 360 will not include an HD-DVD player. So with the HD-DVD addon it's pretty similar in price to Sony which includes Blueray. Blueray so far also seems to be winning the format war.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
[Luddite]WTF is blue ray? I've seen it on a couple commercials, but I don't know what it is? Don't tell me they're already trying to replace DVDs![/Luddite]

Sharky

[Luddite]WTF is blue ray? I've seen it on a couple commercials, but I don't know what it is? Don't tell me they're already trying to replace DVDs![/Luddite]

Blu-ray is a new technology that allows Hi Def encoding of DVDs. Normal DVD encoding doesn't allow enough data to fit on a disc to support Hi Def. There are two formats of Hi Def DVD right now: Blu-ray and HD DVD[sup]TM[/sup]. Sort of like VHS vs. Beta.

I'm holding off buying a Hi Def DVD player until it all sorts itself out (and the prices come down).

Normal DVDs will probably co-exist with Hi Def DVDs.

spike

Following the announcement of the Xbox Elite, potential Xbox 360 owners across the world have been disappointed that the news announced so far only applies to the North American market. However, a recent press release from Microsoft Japan indicates that the Elite's 120 GB hard drive will be available in Japan for the price of 18,900 yen ($161.64 USD) starting June 7th.

But, Wired's gaming blog Game|Life recently examined the Japanese press release a little more closely and noticed some eyebrow-raising conditions that will most likely affect 360 gamers from all regions. In particular, the blog post points towards the process of transferring data from the old 20 GB hard drives to the new 120 GB models.

According to the press release, partial transfer looks to be impossible, since the entire contents of your 20 GB drive will automatically be transferred to the larger 120 GB drive. Once that transfer takes place, everything on your original drive will be permanently deleted. Furthermore, the transfer process has been made into a one-way street as it is impossible to move any transferred data back to an original 20 GB drive.

It is also impossible to transfer the data on two or more 20 GB drives to one single 120 GB drive. If there is existing data on the 120 GB hard drive at the time of transfer, the whole of that data is deleted.

The blog is also quick to point out the words of Microsoft's Aaron Greenberg, who suggested that gamers buy a second 20 GB hard drive upon the launch of the Xbox Video Marketplace. For those who have unfortunately followed his tragic advice, it seems that you're plum out of luck.

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/view.php?id=2477

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member

I think HD will be the winner in that war. Uses the same size disks as regular DVD, thus no retooling of factories is needed. Cheaper to start up. Blu-Ray may be better, but so was Betamax...another great Sony product...:devious:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
You'd think that Sony would remember the great debacle of the 80s wouldn't you?

spike

With the release of the PC in Europe last week Blu Ray is probably going to increase it's lead there.

Here's an article from 2 days ago.

According to figures from media analyst Chart Track, the PS3 has seen itself fly off store shelves faster than any previous home console system (excluding handhelds) in the UK, selling over 165,000 machines in its first two days at retail.

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/view.php?id=2463

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
If I recall correctly, Beta sold better...at first. 10 years later, there was no Beta.

I wouldn't put money on either one yet.

Inkara1

Wasn't Beta first to market, too? Then VHS came in and had inferior picture quality but was a lot cheaper?

MrBishop

Going the way set before it by the likes of 8-track, VHS, and WordStar.

*VHS still has better picture range than DVD...but don't tell that to the people who just bought Star Wars for the 6th time - BLu-ray limited collectors edition.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
All analog recordings have more range. They aren't limited, compressed, to a specific range.

However, it's easier to carry digital medias than analogs.