And they said it wouldn't last ...

spike

I got an idea for you Prof. How about you deal with your own significant other and stay out of everyone else's business? If you would like to stay married for life great, that's a wonderful thing. Your say pretty much ends there though.

Professur

I got an idea for you Prof. How about you deal with your own significant other and stay out of everyone else's business? If you would like to stay married for life great, that's a wonderful thing. Your say pretty much ends there though.

I've got an idea for you too. Understand what the word Marriage means before you apply it to relationships that don't qualify .. and then claim that it's the word that's the problem and needs to change.

spike

bigotry involves Hate....If you'd been paying attention, you'd remember I don't
do Hate, if I can catch myself.

It doesn't have to involve hate. But it's hard to deny you have some animosity towards them if you don't want them around you.

If my views bother them, that's Their problem, not mine, or the greater society's.

Right, you don't want them to bother you but don't care if you bother them or have different standards for their children. Got it.

MrBishop

Sadly, bish ... what I posted is obviously beyound your understanding. Being a divorcee, that's not wholely surprising ... as if you did understand it ... you'd not be a divorcee in the first place. I'm afraid you're caught in a circular trap of your own making, since to understand it would be to have to accept your own failings ... something you're not too good at. So pop me onto your ignore list, please.
I am well aware of and have accepted my own part in regards to my failed marriage and subsequent divorce. Please note that I have not married again. The rest of that post is pure opinionated bs.

To cut through the bulk of your previous post to the heart of it; You feel that a Married couples should never be allowed to divorce and it shouldn't even come into their mind.

Great...now the question was: Why shouldn't there be same-sex Marriage if the same rules apply in the same way as different-sex Marriage?

Try to stick to the point instead of trying your hand at character assassination. It's really beneath you and disappointing.

spike

I've got an idea for you too. Understand what the word Marriage means before you apply it to relationships that don't qualify .. and then claim that it's the word that's the problem and needs to change.

Marriage is a union between two people. Being between two people it doesn't involve you unless you are one of the two people.

I didn't claim the word was the problem.

catocom

It doesn't have to involve hate. But it's hard to deny you have some animosity towards them if you don't want them around you.

Right, you don't want them to bother you but don't care if you bother them or have different standards for their children. Got it.

If they don't do anything aggressive in that manner toward me, and don't flaunt it,
it doesn't bother me.

The difference is action, or inaction.

different standards?
nope, if a couple can't have children, the don't need children.

spike

If they don't do anything aggressive in that manner toward me, and don't flaunt it, it doesn't bother me.

Flaunt it. You mean if they flirt with each other, hold hands, kiss each other goodbye or other wise act like a straight couple then it's a problem?

different standards?
nope, if a couple can't have children, the don't need children.

I'm not sure what percentage of them are sterile and I'm not sure what you have against couples gay or straight that need fertility doctors or adopt children but I know a few gay couples with children that are just fine and I don't really see any justification for you to be trying to set different standards for them or trying to act superior.

Professur

Marriage is a union between two people. Being between two people it doesn't involve you unless you are one of the two people.

I didn't claim the word was the problem.

If the word isn't the problem, then what's the problem with the word Civil Union?

OK, once again, I'll try to dumb it down further. Marriage is a word used in many senses, only one of them concerning humans. Marriage means an unseparable merging of two different things into one combined thing. Be that eggs flour and water for baking .... Copper and tin to make bronze ... a man and a woman to make a married couple. If you add copper and copper, do you get bronze? No, or course not. If you add eggs, eggs and eggs, do you get a cake? No, you get an omelette.

And of course it's FOREVER. That's what that bit about " til death do us part" or "so long as you both shall live" means. Any idea how hard it is to get eggs back out of a cake? If you don't like that idea ... MARRIAGE ISN'T FOR YOU. You want something else.

Professur

I'm not sure what percentage of them are sterile and I'm not sure what you have against couples gay or straight that need fertility doctors but I know a few gay couples with children that are just fine and I don't really see any justification for you to be trying to set different standards for them or trying to act superior.

I'll not go into it again, but my position on fertility treatments for anyone has been made countless times. If your genetics would allow a conception ... there's probably a damn good reason for it ... and forcing the issue is just begging for trouble.

I think they want to be equal, not better.

If straights can get married, then so should gays, using the term civil union is like saying blacks can ride the bus, but only in the back.

Well I personally could give a crap if gays marry, and don't see why it is so offensive. They are people and ought to have the same rights, but my point is that it irks me when I see the "we're queer we're here, and we are going to ram it down your throat whether you like it or not crowd". Why can't they compromise (for now) and fight for the right to civil union? They could tackle marriage later when folks are more enlightened.

catocom

Flaunt it. You mean if they flirt with each other, hold hands, kiss each other goodbye or other wise act like a straight couple then it's a problem?
I'm not for Any public diplays of affection besides cordial, or mild, ...
e.g. like hand holding, hugging...

I'm not sure what percentage of them are sterile and I'm not sure what you have against couples gay or straight that need fertility doctors or adopt children but I know a few gay couples with children that are just fine and I don't really see any justification for you to be trying to set different standards for them or trying to act superior.

superior? no
I just am one of those type that think there's a reason for everything.

I don't know why you insist on putting words in my mouth or making assumptions that don't connect.

Professur

I am well aware of and have accepted my own part in regards to my failed marriage and subsequent divorce. Please note that I have not married again. The rest of that post is pure opinionated bs.

To cut through the bulk of your previous post to the heart of it; You feel that a Married couples should never be allowed to divorce and it shouldn't even come into their mind.

Great...now the question was: Why shouldn't there be same-sex Marriage if the same rules apply in the same way as different-sex Marriage?

Try to stick to the point instead of trying your hand at character assassination. It's really beneath you and disappointing.

Against my better judgement, I'll reply to this. That wasn't character assassination ... simply an acceptation of your personal limits. I wouldn't expect a monk to supply an intelligent opinion on sexual education, a caveman to grunt usefully about car insurance, or a blind man to understand a beautiful sunset.

Why should there be no SAME SEX Marriage .... because by definition ... it isn't. Read a 1940's dictionary and look up the roots of the word. Nothing to do with religion or sex there.

And frankly ... in a world with 50% marriage failure rates .... noone's ever going to convince me that advancing the definition of the word to suit modern 'opinions' is a good thing.

spike

If the word isn't the problem, then what's the problem with the word Civil Union?

No problem with that term. If gay or straight couples want a civil union instead of a marriage that's fine.

OK, once again, I'll try to dumb it down further. Marriage is a word used in many senses, only one of them concerning humans. Marriage means an unseparable merging of two different things into one combined thing.

No it does not mean an inseparable merging actually. It means "a close union". So you are wrong there things or people married can be separated.

... a man and a woman to make a married couple. If you add copper and copper, do you get bronze? No, or course not. If you add eggs, eggs and eggs, do you get a cake? No, you get an omelette.

There's no logical point there. A woman and a woman make a couple. A man and a woman make a couple. Neither of these two combinations make an omelette.

And of course it's FOREVER. That's what that bit about " til death do us part" or "so long as you both shall live" means.

No, it doesn't have to be forever and those sentences are not used in all vows.

Any idea how hard it is to get eggs back out of a cake?

Doesn't apply. because it's not that hard to separate a couple whos marriage isn't working.

If you don't like that idea ... MARRIAGE ISN'T FOR YOU. You want something else.

Your idea of marriage that you want to impose on other people isn't for them. For other people whos marriage isn't working divorce is the only reasonable answer and you really have no business interfering. Take care of your own relationship and stay the hell out of everyone else's. You are not the authority in their lives.

spike

Why should there be no SAME SEX Marriage .... because by definition ... it isn't. Read a 1940's dictionary and look up the roots of the word. Nothing to do with religion or sex there.

Ah, now the 1940's dictionaries are the authority on all things. :laugh:

And frankly ... in a world with 50% marriage failure rates .... noone's ever going to convince me that advancing the definition of the word to suit modern 'opinions' is a good thing.

Sure, in the 40's it used to be that women would stay in abusive marriages because of social pressure. That was much better.

Everyone should have your "opinions" forced on them and not be free to choose how to live their lives.

Professur

Your idea of marriage that you want to impose on other people isn't for them.

Once again ... the original definition of the word ... not my idea of it. You refuse to accept the original definition ... what am I to do?

MrBishop

Marriage - original definition - why bother with stopping int he 1940's
Entymology - English word taken from the French term Marrier
French - Marrier/Marier - to unite
Latin - Maritare/mariture - a husband/married man
Latin - Meri -young wife
Latin - meryo - young husband
Latin - márya - young man, man, suitor

To take a spouse, to enter into a close and intimate relationship.

Here's a nice quote that I found by happenstance.
"When two people are under the influence of the most violent, most insane, most delusive, and most transient of passions, they are required to swear that they will remain in that excited, abnormal, and exhausting condition until death do them part." [G.B. Shaw]

Professur

If you're reduced to quoting Shaw, you've already admitted your're wrong.

BTW ... sidebar.

*deleted*
Never mind

2minkey

bootlicker
who cares what the original definition of the word is? we've outgrown lots of things. if any of you wanna live like a caveman, that's fine. just stay in your cave, and let the rest of us make our own decisions.

Professur

who cares what the original definition of the word is? we've outgrown lots of things. if any of you wanna live like a caveman, that's fine. just stay in your cave, and let the rest of us make our own decisions.

Get the divorce rate under 20% using your definition and I might consider that "your" definition is worth growing.

2minkey

bootlicker
Get the divorce rate under 20% using your definition and I might consider that "your" definition is worth growing.

why bother? the society embracing your version of "marriage" spawned an absurd divorce rate well before the gays got uppity to a level visible by squares like you.

you see, a pimp's love and a square's love are.... different....