Andrea Yates Appeal Upheld

AllEars'

Texas's highest court today upheld a lower court ruling in January that tossed out the murder conviction of Andrea Yates, the Houston-area woman who was accused of drowning her children in a bathtub in 2001.

The Harris County district attorney's office, which appealed the lower court decision, will now have to decide whether to seek a new trial for Ms. Yates, who is at the Skyview prison psychiatric facility near Houston, or whether to consider a plea bargain.

Full Story

Winky

certainly she should be set free and get a movie\book deal
and make the talk show circuit I can see her a sittin' next to Oprah now...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Wanna bet if I kill her, I'll get life & no judge would (or should) change that ruling?

Winky

See how you are?
You'd even think that what you did was wrong.
What she did wasn't wrong, you see, cuz the poor gurl was Krazy!

Nah I'm still waiting for O.J. to admit he whacked his Ex...

AllEars'

Hold up, I don't think calling someone stupid is neccessary.

I don't agree with the overturn of the ruling myself. Yes, she clearly has problems BUT that does not make her above the law. If it did shoot all of us should be above the law also.

Did you read this part?

During the original trial, Dr. Park Dietz, a psychiatrist who was the prosecution's sole mental health expert, testified that Ms. Yates was psychotic at the time of the murders but knew right from wrong. The latter conclusion meant that she was not insane under Texas's unusually narrow definition of legal insanity.

chcr

Too cute for words
Bobby Hogg said:
Did you miss the part about her being in a psychiatric facility, did you ignore it or are you just too stupid to comprehend what that means?

It raises a question I've asked before though. Are we doing the humane thing by keeping her alive? It sounds to me like she starts to get better, gets just to the point where she remembers what she did and has another psychotic break. Yeah, lets make her go through that time and again for forty more years. We're civilized, we don't execute crazy folk.

AllEars'

Top of my list is Charlie Manson. Taxpayers money is housing this sick fuck.

I firmly believe in an eye for an eye. Yes she has problems. She killed 5 of her children, she drowned them, she knew what she was doing. She called 911 herself and said she needed the police over there after she did this. Come on, you don't think she doesn't need killin?

Bobby Hogg

I don't know enough about the case. I simply question the theory that society should go down the road of deciding who it is ok to kill for their own good and who isn't.

She's in a psychiatric ward. She's not walking the streets, and chances are she probably never will. Try to stop your knee-jerking so much.

chcr

Too cute for words
Bobby Hogg said:
I simply question the theory that society should go down the road of deciding who it is ok to kill for their own good and who isn't.
Sooner or later we'll have to.

Bobby Hogg said:
Try to stop your knee-jerking so much.
:rofl4:

Bobby Hogg

AllEars' said:
That's paintin the kettle black ain't it.

No, not at all. Seemingly people have reacted here to a situation which hasn't even occurred (i.e. this woman being set free).

Bobby Hogg

chcr said:
Probably more than obvious to everyone except you.

Explain it to me then.

If we've spent all these years evolving and seemingly becoming more enlightened and advanced, why would resorting to killing weaker members of society be our best solution to a problem? Wouldn't that be a gigantic step backwards?

chcr

Too cute for words
Bobby Hogg said:
Explain it to me then.

If we've spent all these years evolving and seemingly becoming more enlightened and advanced, why would resorting to killing weaker members of society be our best solution to a problem? Wouldn't that be a gigantic step backwards?
You, my friend are one of the most incredible knee-jerkers it has ever been my fortune to encounter.

Bobby Hogg

Is it that hard to answer a simple question? You made a comment, I am asking you to explain it. It would be easier just to say "no, I don't want to." Save us both the trouble.

AllEars'

Bobby Hogg said:
why would resorting to killing weaker members of society be our best solution to a problem?

In your eyes is murdering someone ok, as long as someone can claim you aren't right in the head? :confused:

I also do not believe she will be set free.