Anti-gay married state senator arrested for DUI after leaving a gay bar

spike

Sacramento, Calif. (CBS/CBS13) BAD: CBS affiliate CBS13 reports that Roy Ashburn, a state senator from Southern California was arrested for allegedly driving drunk.

WORSE: CBS affiliate CBS13 reports that Roy Ashburn, a state senator from Southern California was arrested for allegedly driving drunk AFTER LEAVING A GAY BAR.

WORSER: CBS affiliate CBS13 reports that Roy Ashburn, a state senator from Southern California was arrested for allegedly driving drunk after leaving a gay bar WITH ANOTHER MAN IN THE CAR.

WORST: CBS affiliate CBS13 reports that Roy Ashburn, a MARRIED state senator from Southern California was arrested for allegedly driving drunk after leaving a gay bar with another man in the car.

WORSTER: CBS affiliate CBS13 reports that Roy Ashburn, a married, REPUBLICAN state senator from Southern California was arrested for allegedly driving drunk after leaving a gay bar with another man in the car.

WORSTEST: CBS affiliate CBS13 reports that Roy Ashburn, a married, Republican state senator from Southern California WITH A HISTORY OF OPPOSING GAY RIGHTS was arrested for allegedly driving drunk after leaving a gay bar with another man in the car.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2010/03/04/crimesider/entry6266524.shtml

ResearchMonkey

He got a DUI, in a state vehicle -- that's BAD, that's the only issue here.

So what if he's gay, why would that matter, you ain't gotta hate If he is gay it's his business and it doesn't mean he has dance the faggy dance politically. What do you have against gays? Why be a hater? :shrug: (Also, he's divorced which makes him available.)

He represents me in Sac and he does a decent job fighting for whats right.

Professur

Actually, Spike, this kinda lays waste to the gay rights argument ...since an obviously gay senator, a guy with the power to get that legislation enacted, a guy who could only stand to benefit from it ... doesn't. If that doesn't tell you that those who know the inside story on this know it's worthless ... I dunno what it'll take to convince you.

spike

since an obviously gay senator, a guy with the power to get that legislation enacted, a guy who could only stand to benefit from it ... doesn't. If that doesn't tell you that those who know the inside story on this know it's worthless ... I dunno what it'll take to convince you.

No, he's a politician. He knows that it's beneficial to to be anti-gay even if he is gay. He doesn't give a shit about what is right. He just wanted to further his political career. Now it is over.

ResearchMonkey

1267826539025.jpg

spike

See the last phrase of my previous post.

I'm going by this -> "a guy who could only stand to benefit from it".

So I showed that quote not to be true. Many of these guys stand to benefit politically by taking public stances against stupid shit like this. So he benefits by being a hypocrite.

I also take issue with your logic that one politician taking a hypocritical stance on gay rights renders that legislation worthless. By that logic if I find one gay legislator that is not hypocritical on these issues that would make them completely valid.

ResearchMonkey

How is it hypocritical? Being gay doesn't mean his entire identity revolves around being gay. His job is not to best represent his own personal interest, it's to represent whats best for the people. (I know that a tough one to understand)

The gay agenda is ridiculous to most reasonable people, including many gay people. Goose stepping because of your sexuality is just plain silly, unless maybe that's the only suit you can wear.

Inkara1

I'd planned on posting something about this a couple of days ago, except I hadn't seen ANYONE else report on the "gay club" thing besides that one TV station. Literally every other story on the whole internet about it was citing that one story which was citing unnamed sources. Has that changed? I was out of town for a couple of days and didn't really get to see if the Sacramento Bee (the paper in the Capitol) or the Bakersfield Californian (the hometown paper for his district) had been able to get anything on it.

spike

How is it hypocritical? Being gay doesn't mean his entire identity revolves around being gay.

Nobody said his entire identity revolves around being gay. If they did I missed it.

How is it hypocritical well he's a gay man that presents himself as anti gay. He's a married family values guy that's cheating on his wife in a non-family values way.

His job is not to best represent his own personal interest, it's to represent whats best for the people.

I'm not sure who said his job was to represent his own personal interest. What's best for the people is equal rights for all citizens. Not pandering to bigots while misleading them.

The gay agenda is ridiculous to most reasonable people, including many gay people.

What's the gay agenda? Equal rights? Most reasonable people think it's only logical, including most gay people.

Goose stepping because of your sexuality is just plain silly, unless maybe that's the only suit you can wear.

Who's goose stepping? Promoting equal rights isn't goose stepping.

valkyrie

How is it hypocritical? Being gay doesn't mean his entire identity revolves around being gay. His job is not to best represent his own personal interest, it's to represent whats best for the people. (I know that a tough one to understand)

The gay agenda is ridiculous to most reasonable people, including many gay people. Goose stepping because of your sexuality is just plain silly, unless maybe that's the only suit you can wear.
The "gay agenda": equal rights.

The "black agenda": equal rights.

The "female/feminist agenda": equal rights.

Rewritten:
"The [gay/black/feminist] agenda is ridiculous to most reasonable people, including many [gay/black/feminist] people. Goose stepping because of your [sexuality/skin color/sex] is just plain silly, unless maybe that's the only suit you can wear."

Why fear equality?

ResearchMonkey

Being White he should be voting only for white legislation, or he's Anti-white.

He is divorced, as in not married.

Also, goose-stepping.

:confbang:

ResearchMonkey

No, I'm simply applying your own logic to his whiteness.

“There’s never been a doubt in my mind on the position of the … vast majority of people in my district ... on these different issues,” he said. “And I voted as I felt I should on behalf of the people who elected me.”

"I felt my duty, and I still fell this way, is to represent my constituents," Ashburn said, adding later that "I don't think it's something that has affected or will affect how I do my job."

-Roy Ashburn
Sorry if this notion seem a little radical, enjoy your short circuit.