Antidiscrimination - how much 'protection' is ethical?

RD_151

What we really need is to have younger generations in positions to make decisions. The people in the positions that matter are from an earlier era. Things will change as people who grew up in a slightly better world are in a position to make decisions. After several generations, maybe it won't be an issue anymore. But you're right, we aren't there yet.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
chcr said:
RD_151 said:
It's not a minority versus majority issue though.
I would say it's not always a minority issue because sometimes it is. I know a lot of white owned businesses around here who would hire a white applicant over an equally qualified black applicant, and screw the law. Of course, there are black owned businesses that would hire the black applicant first as well. Isn't that the same thing?

Depends. Are they equally qualified? Also...and don't take this the wrong way, how many black owned businesses are there? If the majority of businesses there are black owned, then you have another way to use AA. It's supposed to work both ways. ;)

RD_151

Well, as far as AA goes though, do you think it does more to promote racial harmony, or that it tends to make things worse?

I'm not sure, but i would tend think it makes things worse, and that is my concern. I can think of lots of cases where you hear whites blaming AA for their troubles, mostly students of course. However, at the same time, knowing that you have at least some chance to get where you want to be gives a lot of hope to minorities. I wonder if the benefit outweighs the cost? It could go either way I guess. It's hard to say.

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
I've already stated my opinion on AA. It is/was a decent antiseptic, and a terrific anticoagulant. It is doing more for keeping race relations from advancing than any passed down bigotry. There are other alternatives that will provide for real healing.

chcr

Too cute for words
Gato_Solo said:
It's supposed to work both ways.
My feeling exactly. I know people who feel differently though. Of course the majority of businesses are not black owned, but I know of at least two that won't hire anyone who isn't black, and they're small enough to get by with it. Of course, I know of more white owned businesses who would have to be forced to hire a non-white, and are small enough to get by with that. I guess it will never be perfect, but I won't trade with either type if I know about it.