Anybody get this feeling too?

Hector

Whenever I think of the world, I keep having this nagging feeling like doomsday is coming...soon. Those four horsemen of the apocalypse...Conquest, War, Famine and Death are upon us and in alarming numbers today.

And the fact that we're slowly killing ourselves with the poisons we release into our world through our cars, our garbage, our industries, and even our own bodily waste(which is what a certain type of acid rain is) is slowly taking it's toll.

Already, skin cancer is no rarity. Ground level ozone is creating more and more asthmatic cases, as well as people with lung cancer. Our population is steadily growing, and already we're strapped thin when it comes to infastructure.

We live in constant fear of another war - terrorism, thermonuclear attacks and biological/chemical weapons are no taboo either. Yet there is nothing we as an individual can really do to stop any of this.

I'm not what you call a religious person, but for some reason, I keep thinking that all of the conditions of the Bible have been met for doomsday...false Christs have come; war is everywhere and people are turning away from god.

Not that I'll join a doomsday cult or anything...just this sinking feeling that all will come to an end...in my lifetime.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Somedays I get the same feelings.

When I was 16, I swore I would never bring a child into this world. Well, I fucked that up. But I still wonder if it was the right thing to do. I wonder what horrors my children will have to face, either with me or after I'm gone.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Hector said:
War, Famine and Death are upon us and in alarming numbers today.

Nah. If anything, we have less, per capita. History is full of brutality. We've become too civilized for that.

Hector said:
If we go at this rate, your kids wont live very long anyway....and neither will any of us.

That has been said for eons. We're still here & kicking. Don't believe the BS they sell. It's only to promote teh news industry.

Hector

Well then let's take an example. Some say AIDs will destroy us all. I think that is BS. As long as the people are educated and a cure is being persued, we will not be.

But nothing like this has ever happened before. We've never faced the threats to our world we do now.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Well, I have to agree with Gonz on at least one point. Never before in history do we hear about all the news that we get today. Epidemics have happened before, but the travel restrictions of the past kept them localized, and therefore kept the news of them localized as well. It's very similar to the war coverage we've gotten in the last two desert campaigns, it's not that war got any nastier, we just get to hear about it all within hours of it happening.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Nothing like AIDS had to happen. People died from measles, rubella, yellow fever, smallpox, influenza & the like. Most of those have been brought fully under control or eradicated so Ma Nature had to invent some new stuff to scare us with.

Nothing new under the sun, just a lot of variances.

MitchSchaft

They say by 2020 that 120 million will be dead from AIDS if it keeps going at it's rate. That doesn't sound like a lot to me over a 20 year span.
Besides, why don't you research some of these topics you have "fears" over. I bet you can prove them wrong. Especially the whole ozone/global warming BS. You're better off worrying about how your government's treating you or what you're gonna eat for lunch tomorrow. :p

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Aha, I found the problem...in another thread

Hector said:
When I graduate university I want to move to Europe...somewhere in Germany, or Britain....well, not so much Britain, but anyway...

There are your used car salesmen...don't buy their baloney, it's rotten :headbang:

Professur

Y'know, there are areas of the ocean where the bottom is littered with frozen hydrocarbons. One mild earthquake is all that's required to disturb them and raise them to the surface, poisoning millions of cubic miles of atmosphere? Hundreds of asteroids pass unseen within earth's orbit yearly. Rogue planets wander the galaxy. Black holes too.

And you'll live an average of 70 some years.

Sleep well.

Aunty Em

Would it be so bad if the human race wiped itself out one way or another?
I doubt the universe would even notice...

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
i doubt that as well....nor care. just trying to have as much fun as possible before i die.
i doubt i'll find out what the true meaning of life is, so i might as well have fun

Hector

Professur said:
Y'know, there are areas of the ocean where the bottom is littered with frozen hydrocarbons. One mild earthquake is all that's required to disturb them and raise them to the surface, poisoning millions of cubic miles of atmosphere? Hundreds of asteroids pass unseen within earth's orbit yearly. Rogue planets wander the galaxy. Black holes too.

And you'll live an average of 70 some years.

Sleep well.

Something like this happened in Africa a while ago. One day, a whole tribe of locals were dead. Some burned, some just dead. For no reason. Now they found that there's C0[2](Carbon Dioxide) on the bottom trapped there until one day, it was released and a huge cloud of this suffocated the population.

There are other lakes in Africa and lots of other places where there's a buildup of S(g), CL[2], or CO[2]....ready to happen again.

But forget that....all of us can never be wiped out by this.

However, if an asteroid destroyed all life on Earth, I'd feel better than if nukes, for example, exploded and created nuclear winter. At least that would be phenomena we couldn't stop....but a nuke would really suck.

a13antichrist

Shadowfax said:
i doubt i'll find out what the true meaning of life is, so i might as well have fun

The meaning of life is to realise that there IS no meaning of life and just get the hell on and live it.

chcr

Too cute for words
a13antichrist said:
The meaning of life is to realise that there IS no meaning and life and just get the hell on and live it.
That's an apt way of putting it. I wonder how many people waste their lives looking for meaning.

Professur

chcr said:
a13antichrist said:
The meaning of life is to realise that there IS no meaning and life and just get the hell on and live it.
That's an apt way of putting it. I wonder how many people waste their lives looking for meaning.

Probably as many who miss out on putting meaning into theirs.