Anybody got a spare Mac?

Inkara1

That upgrade WOULD be a nice boost.

I'm guessing you'd want to make sure to keep the old system 8.X on it when you upgrade that, though, since many of those kinds of upgrades require firmware updates with software that only runs in OS 8 or 9.

pc_builder

Either way, I'm planning on keeping 8.6 for now as I do not have any macos cds lying around. :D

edit: I found a website that apparently still has these. Now I have to get $300 together. :D

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
You're going to pay $300 to upgrade that mac? Why don't you just save your pennies and buy a new one...you can buy a mac mini for $600 and just use it with your existing monitor, keyboard and mouse. I realize that's twice as much as the upgrade...but for $300 more, and a bit more time to save those pennies, you'd be so much further ahead.

chcr

Too cute for words
You're going to pay $300 to upgrade that mac? Why don't you just save your pennies and buy a new one...you can buy a mac mini for $600 and just use it with your existing monitor, keyboard and mouse. I realize that's twice as much as the upgrade...but for $300 more, and a bit more time to save those pennies, you'd be so much further ahead.

Absolutely.

pc_builder

Uh no. First of all, yes, it's twice as much. And secondly, what existing monitor keyboard and mouse? It's an imac. built in monitor.

edit: And it's not about getting so much further ahead. It's about playing with electronics, which is what I do. :D Also, I don't need a fast, brand new, mac. This is the first mac I've ever owned, so I'm going to get the most out of it that I can before moving on.

Edit again: Besides, getting the mini would defeat the purpose of having an all-in-one imac now, wouldn't it?

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I meant any existing monitor, keyboard and mouse...you obviously have at least the monitor and keyboard or mouse (likely both) or you wouldn't be posting :p

spike

I just picked up an MSI Wind and I've heard they're pretty esy to put a Mac OS on for some reason.

I'm going to have to look into this as I would like to play around with the iPhone dev kit too.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
The problem with putting Mac OS X on a PC, besides it being technically illegal, is that, whenever the OS is updated, it's a crapshoot as to whether it will work on your setup. In my case, it caused the need for a total wipe since the update instructions didn't work... but the newer version of OS X didn't install. And then when the SDK is updated, it often requires that newer version of Mac OS X. So you could quickly get outdated by the cat and mouse chase of Apple updating the OS and then the SDK, and the Hackintosh developers may miss putting something in their newer builds that made a prior version work on your machine.

I just don't want to put up with all that hassle anymore. I decided Mac or bust...

I pumped a bit more into savings, and some friends decided to pitch in a bit as well, and I'm up to $152 so far (...of $3421.44). I even made a panhandling site to celebrate the occasion, lol. http://www.buymeamacbook.com/

fury

Administrator
Staff member
According to Apple, it is. But Psystar is challenging them in court right now, alleging anti-competitive practices and copyright law abuse.

pc_builder

I meant any existing monitor, keyboard and mouse...you obviously have at least the monitor and keyboard or mouse (likely both) or you wouldn't be posting :p

I don't post from my house. :p This is my mom's computer, at her place. I currently have no internet at my house, and all my spare monitors are loaned out to other people. :D

Edit: That's what happens with being the go-to-guy for pc parts for all my friends and family. A part of theirs goes down (i.e. monitor) I loan them mine. The only reason I don't have any more monitors at my house is because, ironically, the one I did keep for myself went pear shaped on me.