Anyone ever buy a diamond online?

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
Yes, I know the prices are artificially inflated by the DeBeers family. Yes, I know that the diamond market is likely to collapse within the next 5 to 10 years due to the perfection of cultured diamonds. Yes, I still have to buy one now. :)

I've looked at a dozen or more "online diamond wholesalers (wholesellers?)". I know what size and quality I'm interested in, so doing a quick search of their database quickly gives me a way to compare their prices to other online and brick&mortar stores.

Here's the thing... despite all the claims of "below wholesale" and "50% off retail pricing", I really don't see any significant savings at these online places. So, I'm left with three possibilities: (1) my local diamond retailers have exceptional prices, (2) I've yet to find the really good online wholesalers, or (3) unlike most other online purchases, buying diamonds online doesn't really save you anything.

Any comments? Has anyone ever made a diamond purchase online? Have any specific websites that you know to have the best prices? For you Canadians... do you know of any websites that still offer Canadian Arctic diamonds?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
can't...remember...name...it huuuuuuuuuuurts!!! :banghead:

there's one up Timmins way...on the tip of me tongue :eh:

If I remember, I'll get back to ya.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I think if they're North of say... 60 ;) they're marketing them as Arctic Diamonds :confuse3:

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I think for a diamond I'd have to stick with the local that you trust.

PT

By the way, are you trying to tell us you're getting married?

PT

Bah, sucker. Hope you enjoy the hummers while they're still forthcoming.

unclehobart

I would be wary of online diamond buying. Half of the ritual is holding it in your hands to see how it looks and feels and catches the light... and to make sure that they aren't sneaking a lesser stone in on you. Just be sure to get your diamond mapped and appraised by 2 independent gemologists to make sure that the retailer isn't just trying to blow sunshine up your ass.

AlphaTroll

Yes, I know the prices are artificially inflated by the DeBeers family

Erm - de Beers is just the trading name, the holding company (Anglo American) is actually run by the Oppenheimer family......and we do not inflate our prices artifically - all inflations are done naturally ;)

Oh and I wouldn't buy diamonds online - you never know if the diamond you buy will be the one you receive. And I'm not exactly sure if insurance companies will cover it (they probably would).

Anyway - this link has some info on the do's & dont's http://www.thediamondbuyingguide.com/

PT

As I said, go to your local shop. As well as being able to see the diamond ahead of time, most local shops will also provide better service, including checking the stone and prongs yearly, as well as cleaning it whenever she wants to drop by.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
PuterTutor said:
Bah, sucker. Hope you enjoy the hummers while they're still forthcoming.
he should be alright there so long as he keeps the diamonds coming :lloyd:

AlphaTroll

LOL....yup, gotta agree with Les on that one....ye know there's a reason why DIAMONDS are a girl's best friend and DOGS are man's ;)

tonksy

it's a clear little rock...doesn't even have a pretty color to it...i suppose they are all nice and sparkly...but damn.

AlphaTroll

Depends on the clarity of the diamond, the cut & actual size.....if the light catches it just right you can have a whole rainbow in that little rock....right there in the palm of your hand.

tonksy

AlphaTroll said:
Depends on the clarity of the diamond, the cut & actual size.....if the light catches it just right you can have a whole rainbow in that little rock....right there in the palm of your hand.
but it's just not worth the money to me....maybe i've just been poor too long...i just can't see it...there is no way i could ever spend that kind of cheddar on myself.