Anyone Got $92,000 You Can Lend Me

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Inkara1 said:
You can get the power to the ground just fine in a Viper if you're a competent driver.

by not pushing it. It's typical american muscle, all muscle, no finesse.

Now If I had MEGA bucks I would get one of the first ones, I loved those, just for tooling around, but I would never want to race in one. (disliked the hardtop from day 1, and a convertible...nah, needs that old targa top)

Inkara1

You can push it... you just have to know WHEN to push it and HOW MUCH to push it. You certainly don't want to drive it like you would drive a LeSabre.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Inkara1 said:
You can push it... you just have to know WHEN to push it and HOW MUCH to push it. You certainly don't want to drive it like you would drive a LeSabre.

nah, it needs to be driven like a 70's muscle car, corners well, but if you TOUCH the gas on a turn, you are spun out. Going in a straightline without burning rubber, means no pushing it, you can keep those tires smoking well into 3rd gear. I drove one (slowly!) and had the owner open the mother up for me. Prefer the Vette.

Professur

paul_valaru said:
nah, it needs to be driven like a 70's muscle car, corners well, but if you TOUCH the gas on a turn, you are spun out. Going in a straightline without burning rubber, means no pushing it, you can keep those tires smoking well into 3rd gear. I drove one (slowly!) and had the owner open the mother up for me. Prefer the Vette.

Paul, anytime you wanna stop making a fool of yourself, feel free. The Viper's no worse than my old pickup in winter .... if you're feeling stupid. Put tires relative to the horsepower (see the toyo website), drop three or four bags of sand in the trunk and you're golden. Take it from a guy who's actually driven a rear wheel, high horsepower vehicle in a canadian blizzard. And took the ramp from the 40E to the 25S at speed. Got a little sideways, but nothing like that FWD riding the guard rail.

And as someone who's owned a 4x4 ..... jeeps are about the worst thing to own in winter. Too mushy a suspension. And 4x4 only helps get you going. It doesn't do a damn in corners or getting you stopped.

HomeLAN

Or get yourself an AWD Magnum. Sure, you're dropping about 200 horsepower, but you still have 345, and at least Paul won't spin it out in winter.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
highwayman said:
That's not the exhaust, that's the wheels breaking traction..But then I took into account the snobish attitude of the vid...

Go to 6:29, I don't see any whell right below the door, which happens to be the place where the exhaust runs.

highwayman

I saw that, it was more smoke then any flames, what there was it looked like it could have been edited in....

Winky

What you saw was the result of that guy kicking the holy crap outta that car for an extended period like a drunk teenager!

Believe me if you shelled out 92K for that baby you'd never see the exhaust overheat like that.

Besides if you drove it like that (top it out, burnt the the very expensive tires off floor it around corners)

You'd be hauled off to jail after being filmed for America's Wildest Police Videos!

C’Mon there are those of us here who’ve own moderately high performance cars.
Ya get ‘on it’ from time to time but you don’t go totally insane even if you took it to the track cuz yer footin’ the bill for the repairs.

He stated that the clutch was smokin’ like Krazy after he finishes writing VIPER

The guy dissed on the car (perhaps rightly so) but admitted that he fricken loved it.

And I’m sure any other red-blooded male (prolly gurls too?) would love it as well!

Yeah and Cheeky the Snake prolly did have more fun with the viper cuz they were
treating it like a throw away, they handled the Enzo with kid glove reverence and respect.

Kinda like the difference between sex with your wife and ‘the other woman’

you can’t beat the shit outta the wife and expect her not to wanna cut yer wangher off but
diss on the Viper burn the clutch and tires and put it away wet

every man’s dreamgurl lol

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Winky said:
What you saw was the result of that guy kicking the holy crap outta that car for an extended period like a drunk teenager!

Yeah, they do that with all cars. You might want to check how the brakes of the mercedez mclaren glowed and then caught fire after using them "a lot" (link on the topgear thread in LL).

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Professur said:
Paul, anytime you wanna stop making a fool of yourself, feel free. The Viper's no worse than my old pickup in winter .... if you're feeling stupid. Put tires relative to the horsepower (see the toyo website), drop three or four bags of sand in the trunk and you're golden. Take it from a guy who's actually driven a rear wheel, high horsepower vehicle in a canadian blizzard. And took the ramp from the 40E to the 25S at speed. Got a little sideways, but nothing like that FWD riding the guard rail.

And as someone who's owned a 4x4 ..... jeeps are about the worst thing to own in winter. Too mushy a suspension. And 4x4 only helps get you going. It doesn't do a damn in corners or getting you stopped.

AWD will transfer power to the tires with most traction, and unless your old pick-up has an excess of 400 HP it's not the same as driving a viper at all.

Also a pick up gearing is slightly diffrent than a muscle car, one is geared towards towing, one is geared towards all out acceleration. Mustangs work in winter simply cause they are meant as street machines, put some weight in the back, and be a little careful, and you are good to go, Vipers are street legal, but meant to blow the doors off things going in a straight line. Plus any amount of snow and with a viper you will have clearance problems.