Anyone here from Boston?

K62

Any places you recommend that I check out while I am there?

I am sailing from Halifax, NS on the 31st of this month and will arrive in Boston, Massachusetts about a week later. I believe we are staying there for a day or two so I may have some time to explore a bit.

greenfreak

Spot is from the outskirts of Boston but he's on vacation in Vegas right now.

My bf went to school in Boston for four years and I've visited just about every year for the last 10 years. When I get home, I'll give you a better reply.

In the meantime, where are you staying? Also, do you like fun stuff, touristy stuff or educational stuff?

K62

greenfreak said:
Spot is from the outskirts of Boston but he's on vacation in Vegas right now.

My bf went to school in Boston for four years and I've visited just about every year for the last 10 years. When I get home, I'll give you a better reply.

In the meantime, where are you staying? Also, do you like fun stuff, touristy stuff or educational stuff?

Hey GF! Thanks for the quick reply!

I will just be sleeping on the ship when I am there. I am not sure how long we will have, It will be at least a day. I hear the drinking age there is 21?!? That really sucks! I will probably be stuck alone with the duty watch onbord the ship when everyone else is out drinking. Ah well..$1.25ish/beer onboard ;)

I like educational stuff, mainly military history. I am not really into the tourist deal but if there is any exceptional places, I may check them out. I would really like to try out some American bars.... but damn! I am still mad over the drinking age :crying4:

:)

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
K62 said:
Hey GF! Thanks for the quick reply!

I will just be sleeping on the ship when I am there. I am not sure how long we will have, It will be at least a day. I hear the drinking age there is 21?!? That really sucks! I will probably be stuck alone with the duty watch onbord the ship when everyone else is out drinking. Ah well..$1.25ish/beer onboard ;)

I like educational stuff, mainly military history. I am not really into the tourist deal but if there is any exceptional places, I may check them out. I would really like to try out some American bars.... but damn! I am still mad over the drinking age :crying4:

:)

*starts dancing around taunting you about being so young*

*the sudden pain reminds her she has a sprained ankle*

*falls on the floor in pain*

greenfreak

Sorry man, I had a pretty bad day at work so I forgot to go online last night.

Ditto on the Freedom Trail but it's quite a walk and it might be a wee bit cold. But the 15th stop on the trail is the USS Constitution, a warship and the USS Cassin Young, a WWII destroyer. I've toured the Cassin Young, it was pretty cool.

Also at the harbor is the Chart House (best damn New England Clam Chowder I've ever had), the aquarium, and trolley tours which are also very cool. What's nice about the trolley tours is that you can get off at certain sites and pick up the next one. Hopefully they're not open air trolleys at this time of year but you never know. Honestly, the best way to get around, especially when it's cold, is their public transportation, the "T". It's really easy to follow and cheaper than a trolley ride but you don't get the history. :)

A good site to start you off: http://www.boston-online.com/faq.html

Man, it's too bad you don't have time and warmer weather. There is so much to do in Boston, so many places to go. Tours, buildings, shopping, parks, walks... We've done it all and keep going back.

Some photos of a trip we took a couple of years back: http://www.greenfreak.net/greengallery/thumbnails.php?album=5

K62

greenfreak said:
Sorry man, I had a pretty bad day at work so I forgot to go online last night.

Ditto on the Freedom Trail but it's quite a walk and it might be a wee bit cold. But the 15th stop on the trail is the USS Constitution, a warship and the USS Cassin Young, a WWII destroyer. I've toured the Cassin Young, it was pretty cool.

Also at the harbor is the Chart House (best damn New England Clam Chowder I've ever had), the aquarium, and trolley tours which are also very cool. What's nice about the trolley tours is that you can get off at certain sites and pick up the next one. Hopefully they're not open air trolleys at this time of year but you never know. Honestly, the best way to get around, especially when it's cold, is their public transportation, the "T". It's really easy to follow and cheaper than a trolley ride but you don't get the history. :)

A good site to start you off: http://www.boston-online.com/faq.html

Man, it's too bad you don't have time and warmer weather. There is so much to do in Boston, so many places to go. Tours, buildings, shopping, parks, walks... We've done it all and keep going back.

Some photos of a trip we took a couple of years back: http://www.greenfreak.net/greengallery/thumbnails.php?album=5

Thank you very much for that, GF :)

I would be very interested in touring those warships!

I wish that I could have more time to tour the city as well. Ah well, one of my good buddies lives in a town called New Market, in New Hampshire. It is only a few hours from Boston I believe.. I may go visit him this summer and could probably stop off at Boston again.

Wasn't "cheers" filmed in Boston?

Thanks for the pictures as well :D

Stop Laughing

My bro went to Boston a couple of years ago. He didn't have much time other than conventions (he was there with the high school newspaper) and he said the Freedom Trail was pretty lame, but he was 16 at the time and pretty much anything to do with school was lame to him, so I wouldn't take his account of it too seriously.

Inkara1

K62 said:
Wasn't "cheers" filmed in Boston?
The plot of the show was set in Boston. That doesn't mean the show was actually filmed in Boston. In fact, it was probably filmed in New York or Los Angeles.

A.B.Normal

Inkara1 said:
The plot of the show was set in Boston. That doesn't mean the show was actually filmed in Boston. In fact, it was probably filmed in New York or Los Angeles.

The external shot of the Cheers bar is an actual Boston bar,its been renamed CHEERS ,I believe it was the "bull & ????"[edit] Bull & Finch Pub[/edit] previously.

http://www.cheersboston.com/

greenfreak

You're right, the outside of the bar is the only thing they used from the real place. Inside, it looks nothing like the Cheers set in reality.

The Freedom Trail isn't narrated or anything, it's just a path to get from one historical place to another. I guess it could be lame if you're not interested in that kind of thing.

You're welcome K62. Newmarket is about 60 miles from Boston and would take approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes. You would probably want to go in early and spend the day and plan on driving back that night. The hotel rates in and around Boston are insane.

Enjoy. :)

Dave

one thing that might be worthwhile, if its a clear day, is the observation deck in either the Prudential or Hancock towers. they both have those little digital recorders you can listen too while walking around the deck. gives a nice history of the city and might give you some ideas for your next visit. plus the view aint too shabby either.

K62

Thank you all for the replys. I am about to head out now Halifax, and will sail out on HMCS Moncton early tomorrow morning.

See you all in a few weeks. :)

Kittie

Not sure how it's spelled but.. Faniel hall. It's in boston, and it has the Cheers.. bar thing there. ^^ It's nice, and essentially is a big hall of food and little shops. For anyone interested in clothing, the Garment District is down there in Boston, and they have alot of clothes for -veryvery- good prices.

There's another place as well, though I can't quite think of what it's called. I believe it is the M.I.T. hall... of some sort. It has a little resturant, convinience store, arcade, it's a nice place to visit.

I suggest just walking around =D Get lost there, but whatever you do, don't park on Kingston street, you will never find your car.

Ohoh. I DO suggest taking the "T" down there. finding parking is hell.

Dave

very close...Faneuil Hall. the ultimate tourist trap. some very good resturants/bars there, but a bit overpriced IMO.

Dave

dont know. is there one there now??
havent been in Boston since her mother's naturalization ceremony almost 2 years ago.

K62

Hello.

Well, I'm back.

Wow, well I had quite the experience in Boston! The first night I was there I watched two girls get in a fight and one hit the other with her car! jeeze.

GF! Did we ever get a good tour of USS Constitution! First off we got the regular tour from a young and very pretty lady in the American Navy. After about an hour of talking with her we mentioned that we were in the Canadian Navy, and pointed out our two ships which were docked right across from Constitution, she asked us if we would like to see the lower decks which aren't open to the public! We got the grand red carpet tour! Got to see every space on the ship!

Here is a picture of me standing on the keel of the Constitution, and according to our beautiful tour guide, the most haunted part on the ship.

I picked up the flu sailing over, and was feeling like shit in this picture.

img00769qf.jpg

Here is another, I am in the middle.

Here is a neat shot that most people don't get to see, the ammo magazine.

Here is one of our sister-ship that we sailed down departing the coast guard jetty in Boston.
img0089small6gm.jpg