Apathy and its consequences...

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
flavio said:
So all the anti-war and pro-war people who did vote can continue as they have been. Guess that just leaves out Jeslik.

*falls over dead*

*wakes up, realizes I agree with flavio*

*falls over dead again.*

:D

unclehobart

Indeed. This is a moral fiber stance and question afoot here. Everyone has the right to vote and shares a collective responsibility to defend and exercise the practice. It is the most direct form of protest know to the populace at large. One voting oaf sitting on his ass in Des Moines has 10 times the power of someone stalking back and forth of the Supreme Court with a 'meat is murder' sign and didn't vote. Both have the right to voice their opinion ... the one having voted carries more respect and his voice should be treated with more attention... after all.. he has already shown that he will vote to make that change when push comes to shove.

PT

flavio said:
PuterTutor said:
What if John loves Pepsi? We aren't talking about one person here that they polled, Flav. That comparison is ridiculous.

It simply used the exact same reasoning to illustrate the flaw in logical progression.

Ok, I'll argue some more.

No, it doesn't illustrate the same flaw, it introduces the flaw.

You're talking about one person, not thousands or millions. If the statement was:

50% of all soda is pepsi
50% of the people drink soda
50 % of the people who drink soda, drink pepsi.

That would be more accurate. 50% of the soda drinkers may hate pepsi, but the other 50 % don't.

unclehobart

Well.. Jeslik wasn't old enough to vote.. nor was he a citizen ... so by the exclusions laid out in the first post ... not fair game ... in this instance... but I will keep it in mind for later.

unclehobart

PuterTutor said:
flavio said:
PuterTutor said:
What if John loves Pepsi? We aren't talking about one person here that they polled, Flav. That comparison is ridiculous.

It simply used the exact same reasoning to illustrate the flaw in logical progression.

Ok, I'll argue some more.

No, it doesn't illustrate the same flaw, it introduces the flaw.

You're talking about one person, not thousands or millions. If the statement was:

50% of all soda is pepsi
50 % of the people who drink soda, drink pepsi.

That would be more accurate. 50% of the soda drinkers may hate pepsi, but the other 50 % don't.
100% of the people could be drinking something other than Pepsi because they find Pepsi to be vile to a man.
All of the Pepsi might be being brewed by a mad billionaire and being tossed down the drain... or all Pepsi is used to run on special designed pepsi fuel cell vehicles.

50% of all soda is pepsi
100% of the people who drink soda, don't drink pepsi.

PT

The pepsi vehicles would be cool, I'd have a use for it then, as I am one of the people that don't drink it.

unclehobart said:
50% of all soda is pepsi

If that were the case, then 50% of the soda wouldn't be Pepsi, but now we're moving to economics.

flavio

Banned
The problem is in trying to tie together unrelated facts like

50% of the U.S. drinks soda
50% of the U.S. eats anchovies
50 % of the people who drink soda also eat anchovies.

The last statement is very suspect.

PT

It may be suspect in your last analogy, flav, but in the voter/public opinion analogy, I don't think it is.

Voters tend to be people who care about the issues, care about what is going on in this country. Either way.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
flavio said:

You can't have an accurate statistical analysis with only one subject. Any fool knows that. The two don't compare in the slightest.

flavio said:
So all the anti-war and pro-war people who did vote can continue as they have been. Guess that just leaves out Jeslik.

Finally. A breakthrough. If you voted, whether your candidate won or lost, you made a choice. You let yourself be heard. Most voters did not make a choice, so they got what they didn't want and now they complain. What's worse, is that most of those same people won't vote in the next election either, and we'll hear them whine and moan about how they didn't want this, or they didn't need that. And it's my duty to see to it that they have that right. For what it's worth, I don't like war either...I do, however, have an obligation to support and defend the constitution, and to obey the orders of those appointed above me. I entered my contract with full intent on doing so, whether I enjoyed my time or not. I just can't stand seeing so many people against this who could've made a difference when it counted, and chose to stay home. It sickens me more now than the day after the election was declared officially over, when so many people hit the streets talking of injustice. Where were they when such sentiments counted? What was so important that they couldn't be bothered to make one of the most important choices they ever had to make? It's only once every 2 years that people get a chance to make a big decision, and once every 4 to decide national policy. It's to those I ask the hard questions, and demand the hard answers. It's not about statistics, really. It's not even about making thewrong choice. It's about making any choice. It's those people who decide that we are going to war. It's those people who decide that we're going to have a deficit. It's those very same people condemn us through their inaction.

The power of government is in the hands of the people...as long as the people want to wield it.

unclehobart

PuterTutor said:
The pepsi vehicles would be cool, I'd have a use for it then, as I am one of the people that don't drink it.

unclehobart said:
50% of all soda is pepsi

If that were the case, then 50% of the soda wouldn't be Pepsi, but now we're moving to economics.
Just because people don't drink it makes it any less a soda.

Professur

flavio said:

No, it isn't. All you proved is that you don't understand statistics. Do yourself a favour and don't try and argue the statistics anymore until you've taken a statistics class or two and learned about means and averages. You're trying to compare a many-to-one grouping to a many-to-many group. Might as well discuss tides with a venusian.

flavio said:
So all the anti-war and pro-war people who did vote can continue as they have been.

Yep, and well have the same percentages of people, just smaller crowds. That should ease the traffic foulups they're causing.

I think the point that Gato's trying to make is that people who don't vote have no right to complain about the gov't. They gave up that right when they couldn't take time out of their oh-so-important lives to exercise their civic right to vote.

But that opens up a real can of worms. Does the failure to exercise a right invalidate that right? Is voting a right, or a duty? If it's a duty, should people be held accountable for shirking that duty?

Now there's something to argue. Get too it.

flavio

Banned
Professur said:
No, it isn't. All you proved is that you don't understand statistics. Do yourself a favour and don't try and argue the statistics anymore until you've taken a statistics class or two and learned about means and averages. You're trying to compare a many-to-one grouping to a many-to-many group.

I have taken courses in statistics, applied statistics with calc, and logic ...did excellent in all three. That's why the use of faulty reasoning here bothers me so much.

If you read my last example with the soda and anchovies you'll see that the logic fails with the use of many subjects just as easily.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Does it count that I believe in this war & did vote, just not for Bush? :D

Lies, Damned Lies & Statistics

PT

flavio said:
If you read my last example with the soda and anchovies you'll see that the logic fails with the use of many subjects just as easily.

We're not talking about many subjects here. I don't know how else to explain it to you, flav. We're not talking soda or anchovies. We're talking about voters and public opinion. We're also not talking completely statistics, one set of numbers are actual numbers, the other set is statistics of the same population. Is it really that hard to grasp?

Gonz said:
Does it count that I believe in this war & did vote, just not for Bush?
I don't know, do you drink pepsi?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Blacks love chicken & watermelon.
Whites can't jump.
Asians are smarter than the average bear.
Mexicans drive low riders.

Stereotypes. Statistically correct-to the group. The individual case by case has no merit because it's to a group.

If 50% drink Coke & 50% drink Pepsi, who drinks RC?

flavio

Banned
PuterTutor said:
Is it really that hard to grasp?

No, it's quite easy to see the flaw in logic.

Further, even if you did vote for Bush does it have to follow that you must be pro-war?

Regardless, what's the point here anyway? Half the pro-war and anti-war crowd should stop having an opinion? Ok then.