April 15, 2002

Professur

One this day, many years ago, a gentle man named Neo, a punk kid named fury, and an assortment of neer do wells, lunatics and people of questionable moral fibre came together to form one of the most enjoyable public forums on the web ... OTCentral. I was not with them. I resisted temptation. I resisted taunts and jeers. I resisted slander and ridicule. Then they went low, and unleashed the most fearful of all weapons .. the little girl. Thus I was brought low, brought to heel by power against which, I had no defence. Soon, as is often the case, I came to enjoy my guilded cage. Came to find comrades in my fellow captives. I came to rejoice in the gentle prison conceived of by Neo, now called Sam. Came to call the warden friend, and even found the baton of guard in my hand for a short while.

Sadly, as often comes to pass, the gilding has flaked from the bars, and fellows have made good their escapes. All I find left are those gone mad. Too far gone to know they only rail against themselves in the mirror. Even the guards have left the walls, leaving those poor few to fend for themselves. The beloved rooms show the signs of decay, and only the toilets show any signs that life still exists in this mouldering tomb.

From time to time, someone will attempt to repaint a room, or string a festive banner ... but it's little more than a lace curtain on a broken window.

Alas, poor OTC ... I knew him, Horatio: a fellow
of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy: he hath
borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how
abhorred in my imagination it is! my gorge rims at
it. Here hung those lips that I have kissed I know
not how oft. Where be your gibes now? your
gambols? your songs? your flashes of merriment,
that were wont to set the table on a roar? Not one
now, to mock your own grinning? quite chap-fallen?
Now get you to my lady's chamber, and tell her, let
her paint an inch thick, to this favour she must
come; make her laugh at that.

Altron

not that many members from 2002 left

HomeLAN
PuterTutor
Ardsgaine
Spirit
Shadowfax
unclehobart
freako104
ris

MrBishop

Replying in kind, Prof.
To post, or not to post:
that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause: there's the respect
That makes calamity of so long life;
For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
The oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
The pangs of despised love, the law's delay,
The insolence of office and the spurns
That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
When he himself might his quietus make
With a bare bodkin? who would fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscover'd country from whose bourn
No traveller returns, puzzles the will
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?
Thus conscience does make cowards of us all;
And thus the native hue of resolution
Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
And enterprises of great pith and moment
With this regard their currents turn awry,
And lose the name of action. - Soft you now!
The fair Ophelia! Nymph, in thy orisons
Be all my sins remember'd.

People move on..the internet is liquid.
Friendships, alliances and battles more so on here than IRL.
The internet is a mis-cast little mirror...
eventually everyone grows old of their own twisted reflections,
and the house-of-mirrors style madhouse,
that places like here become.

catocom

People move on..the internet is liquid.
Friendships, alliances and battles more so on here than IRL.
The internet is a mis-cast little mirror...
eventually everyone grows old of their own twisted reflections,
and the house-of-mirrors style madhouse,
that places like here become.

I've posted stuff that I found out was wrong, but for the most part I've not
regretted any of my posts, and they are/will be, out there for historical reference.

MrBishop

I've posted stuff that I found out was wrong, but for the most part I've not
regretted any of my posts, and they are/will be, out there for historical reference.
I've posted plenty...on here and elsewhere. A good chunk of my posts don't appear anymore...some places have simply disappeared from the net, never to return, and the backups gone as well. :alienhuh:

I wonder how much of what we type today will still be around in a decade...or even relevant.
:glasses3:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
7 years ago, wow. I was just finishing my last year of highschool. INSANE.

Prof, which girl got you over here?

MrBishop

most all the places I've posted are still around, or backed up.
Lucky. My first dial-up BBS went web for about a year before disappearing entirely. Cant even find the logo (ascii art) of the place anymore.

Federation II - a place hosted by GEnie, broke free of GEnie and then, after losing most of it's members, archived select portions only and is now a pay-for-membership chat space of sorts.

One gaming site got hit by hackers and got it's last backup overwritten.

Inkara1

Lucky. My first dial-up BBS went web for about a year before disappearing entirely. Cant even find the logo (ascii art) of the place anymore.

I once ran across an ascii art "no masturbation" sign that was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. I haven't been able to find it again in the past decade. :(

Professur

7 years ago, wow. I was just finishing my last year of highschool. INSANE.

Prof, which girl got you over here?

Don't rub it in. You played dirty and you know it. You railroaded me into the moderator slot as well.

MrBishop

ROFL: Found something of mine from 1996: 199.84.216.2

*** Forwarded message, originally written by Marc Gendron on 27-Dec-96 ***
>>Subject: Prehistoric Barbie
>>Ok, the story behind this... There's this nutball who "digs things out his back yard" and sends the stuff he finds to the Smithsonian Institute, labeling them with scientific names, insisting that they are actual archeological finds. The really weird thing about these letters is that this guy really exists and does this in his spare time!
>>Paleoanthropology Division
>>Smithsonian Institute
>>207 Pennsylvania Avenue
>>Washington, DC 20078
>>Dear Sir:
>>Thank you for your latest submission to the Institute, labeled "211-D, layer seven, next to the clothesline post. Hominid skull." We have given this specimen a careful and detailed examination, and regret to inform you that we disagree with your theory that it represents "conclusive proof of the presence of Early Man in Charleston County two million years ago." Rather, it appears that what you have found is the head of a Barbie doll, of the variety one of our staff, who has small children, believes to be the "Malibu Barbie". It is evident that you have given a great deal of thought to the analysis of this specimen, and you may be quite certain that those of us who are familiar with your prior work in the field were loathe to come to contradiction with your findings. However, we do feel that there are a number of physical attributes of the specimen which might have tipped you off to it's modern origin:
>>1. The material is molded plastic. Ancient hominid remains
>>are typically fossilized bone.
>>2. The cranial capacity of the specimen is approximately 9
>>cubic centimeters, well below the threshold of even the earliest identified proto-hominids.
>>3. The dentition pattern evident on the "skull" is more
>>consistent with the common domesticated dog than it is with the "ravenous man-eating Pliocene clams" you speculate roamed the
>>wetlands during that time. This latter finding is certainly one of the most intriguing hypotheses you have submitted in your history with this institution, but the evidence seems to weigh rather heavily against it. Without going into too much detail, let us say that:
>>A. The specimen looks like the head of a Barbie doll
>>that a dog has chewed on.
>>B. Clams don't have teeth.
>>It is with feelings tinged with melancholy that we must deny your request to have the specimen carbon dated. This is partially due to the heavy load our lab must bear in it's normal operation, and partly due to carbon dating's notorious inaccuracy in fossils of recent geologic record. To the best of our knowledge, no Barbie dolls were produced prior to 1956 AD, and carbon dating is likely to produce wildly inaccurate results. Sadly, we must also deny your request that we approach the National Science Foundation's Phylogeny Department with the concept of assigning your specimen the scientific name "Australopithecus spiff-arino." Speaking personally, I, for one, fought tenaciously for the acceptance of your proposed taxonomy, but was ultimately voted down because the species name you selected was hyphenated, and didn't really sound like it might be Latin.
>>However, we gladly accept your generous donation of this fascinating specimen to the museum. While it is undoubtedly not a hominid fossil, it is, nonetheless, yet another riveting example of the great body of work you seem to accumulate here so effortlessly. You should know that our Director has reserved a special shelf in his own office for the display of the specimens you have previously submitted to the Institution, and the entire staff speculates daily on what you will happen upon next in your digs at the site you have discovered in your back yard. We eagerly anticipate your trip to our nation's capital that you proposed in your last letter, and several of us are pressing the Director to pay for it. We are particularly interested in hearing you expand on your theories surrounding the "trans-positating fillifitation of ferrous ions in a structural matrix" that makes the excellent juvenile Tyrannosaurus rex femur you recently discovered take on the deceptive appearance of a rusty 9-mm Sears Craftsman automotive crescent wrench.
>>Yours in Science,
>>Harvey Rowe
>>Curator, Antiquities
***************************************************************************** * * *
* Marc Gendron * "What really interests me is whether God had *
* aka * any choice in the creation of the world." *
* Static * *
* * -Albert Einstein- *
* @GM.GAMEMASTER.QC.CA * *
* or * *
* @GENERATION.NET * *