Are we really this pathetic?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I just jumped over to yahoo to check me mail etc. I saw this link on the main page.

Search for a guide to ordering coffee

Guide? GUIDE??!!! How hard is it to walk up and say, "Gimme a cup of coffee," for the love of peanut brittle? It's fuggin' coffee people. If you pay over 75 cents for it, it's overpriced coffee...but still coffee!! I don't see anyone offering me a guide to ordering a fuggin Pepsi!

My GOD what have we allowed ourselves to become?

*SnP sulks off to finish his cherry limeade*

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
But what if someone wants a "non-fat, double latte, tall, with extra whipped creme and sprinkles"??? They MUST learn how to PROPERLY order it! :lloyd:

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
If that's what they want, they need their pansy ass kicked up between their shoulderblades and learned how to say "coffee".

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Anyone who orders a non-fat latte with whipped creme and sprinkles needs their head checked anyway..."PLease take the fat out of my coffee but add it all, plus more, back on top...k thanks"

Inkara1

Well, look at it this way... go to a restaurant in the south and order a Coke, and you have to specify "what kind." I'm thinking that next time someone asks me that, I'll say, "Pepsi." :D Anyway, this is just specifying "what kind" of coffee.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Well, look at it this way... go to a restaurant in the south and order a Coke, and you have to specify "what kind." I'm thinking that next time someone asks me that, I'll say, "Pepsi." :D Anyway, this is just specifying "what kind" of coffee.

It's the best way I know of to get a Pepsi in the South. Walk into a diner here and ask for a double latte with whatever and you'll get...

coffee. Which is what you ordered in the first place.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
To answer your question...in a general sense...yes. We really are that pathetic. How you come up with the question is just as important as how I come up with the answer. ;)

BTW...if you are offended by this answer, ask yourself why before you go on your tirade...

unclehobart

If the guide was something trying to get you to pair up mocha java hazelnut with a whitefish dish... yeah... thats pathetic.

If it was a guide telling you what the roasting levels and flavor outcomes were, that is kind of important. I tend to overthnk my coffee and can make it 100 different ways depending upon our mood, desires, and needs. I've kinda warped Tonks as well since she can tell most of the differences and demands certain blends upon certain days.

The only way I can make it such dancing though is with a french press. Regular 'ol perk-pot and simple drip... might as well be using Folgers or Columbian Supremo as most of the goodness is never brought into play. 90% of the coffee you find out there is going to be robusto... so its going to be harsh, but consistent, and ho-hum. The arabica world is quite different. Its is full of different flavors and end results if you know how to bring them out.

To hear people speak of coffee as a singluar instrument saddens me. It almost makes me want to retort with 'might as well be only one pizza maker or one style of barbecue because its all the same. To order anything other than KC Masterpiece or a Totinos frozen slab of death is just a waste of time.'

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
If the guide was something trying to get you to pair up mocha java hazelnut with a whitefish dish... yeah... thats pathetic.

If it was a guide telling you what the roasting levels and flavor outcomes were, that is kind of important. I tend to overthnk my coffee and can make it 100 different ways depending upon our mood, desires, and needs. I've kinda warped Tonks as well since she can tell most of the differences and demands certain blends upon certain days.

The only way I can make it such dancing though is with a french press. Regular 'ol perk-pot and simple drip... might as well be using Folgers or Columbian Supremo as most of the goodness is never brought into play. 90% of the coffee you find out there is going to be robusto... so its going to be harsh, but consistent, and ho-hum. The arabica world is quite different. Its is full of different flavors and end results if you know how to bring them out.

To hear people speak of coffee as a singluar instrument saddens me. It almost makes me want to retort with 'might as well be only one pizza maker or one style of barbecue because its all the same. To order anything other than KC Masterpiece or a Totinos frozen slab of death is just a waste of time.'

Arabica is too fruity for most tastes. Try an Ethiopian blend, or some fresh coffee from Panama. (Duran comes to mind) The fresher the better. Otherwise, its just coffee...;)

Kruz

when I lived in Buffalo it was Tim Horton's or Duncan Doughnuts for the best coffee, every morning we would stop for a coffee and a buttered hard roll before work... mmmmmmm:beardbng:

chcr

Too cute for words
Arabica is too fruity for most tastes. Try an Ethiopian blend, or some fresh coffee from Panama. (Duran comes to mind) The fresher the better. Otherwise, its just coffee...;)

I don't particularly care about the Arabica for a plain old cuppa either but it makes better espresso than anything else, IMO. Unc's right about one thing though, once you've used a french press, drip or perk is second rate at best