Arson in upstate NY

MrBishop

So…my fishing days are over for a while, as are my occasional weekends in upper-NY with the kids, and my long walks along the trails, and my pleasant night’s sleep lulled by the sounds of the river. Someone decided to torch my father-in-law’s trailer/cabin in upper-NY on Tuesday night….it’s gone. All of it. Arson…the third incident in a 1/2 mile area in the last 10 months…all to cabins owned by Canadians. Oh…and the Police might look into it.

Someone broke a window next to the front door, tossed in some accelerants and set it all on fire. There was no insurance because the insurance company wouldn’t insure it until certain changes were made (a new fence to protect people from stepping off a rock wall next to the cabin). The fence was just finished, but before the insurance was called, the fire was set. So…all the clothing and furniture are gone, all the pictures on the walls, all the memorabilia from Spain, Italy, France, Alaska, the Netherlands, Afghanistan, etc etc…gone, my kid’s art -- gone, books, movies, etc…-- ashes and twisted steel.

My wife, bro-in-law and in-laws are going down this weekend to see if anything is salvageable and to arrange for the removal of the husk that’s left. I’m minding the kids because there won’t be anyplace to sleep but our tent while all this is going on, and MrsBish doesn’t want to expose the kids to this kind of heartbreak.

I hope that they catch whoever did this – before s/he hurts someone in a fire, before some fireman has to pull the body of a tortured and burnt child from out of an arsoned home.

In the meanwhile…gone.

MrBishop

Still trying to figure out what to do next. What can be rescued from the ashes, what to do with the property now etc..

MrBishop

At least nobody got hurt. For me, that's what counts..the furniture etc can be replaced and the cabin rebuilt. Still doesn't make me any less angry with whoever did this, not frustrated at the cops' :shrug: "We'll look into it" attitude.