At the center of it all

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
freako104 said:
ahh but you just made my argument. you cant put todays values on yesterday. and vice versa.

Nope. You finally understood mine. Laws are made by todays society, and broken by tomorrows...depending upon how tomorrows society deals with todays problems.

freako104

Gato what I said was that there are laws that were made yesterday. never taken off the books. thus they are still laws.

Gato_Solo

freako104 said:
Gato what I said was that there are laws that were made yesterday. never taken off the books. thus they are still laws.

Perhaps...but, then again, how many of them have been repealed, or contradicted by other, newer laws. You can't just throw that web-site up and say that all of those laws are still in force without looking at whether another law has been put into place that contradicts it.

freako104

if there has been sodomy laws that contradict hte ones on the book i havent seen them. I put the site up as it is supposed to have current laws. whether the laws are enforced is a different idea.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
would this be a bad time to mention the lack of STDs before sodomy laws were increasingly ignored?

Gato_Solo

Gonz said:
would this be a bad time to mention the lack of STDs before sodomy laws were increasingly ignored?

That had more to do with other social pressures than sodomy...

freako104

there isnt one for aids now you know. so they are still a problem but it is not just in the homosexual community.

Gato_Solo

Gonz said:
however, most people didn't have to worry about it ;)

Tell that to the native Americans who contracted syphyllis from European sailors...

Most people did have to worry about it, so they created their society around the problems they had.

AIDS, however, is not a Sexually Transmitted Disease. It is easily passed through sexual conduct, but it is also passed through other means. Blood transfer is the easiest way...

Did you know that most people who die of AIDS don't die from the HIV at all? They die from an STD they contracted through unsafe sex. Their bodies no longer have an immune system capable of limiting the damage, and anti-biotics no longer work on some strains.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
At teh risk of starting AT on a rampage again

CDC said:
Cases by Exposure Category

Following is the distribution of the estimated number of diagnoses of AIDS among adults and adolescents by exposure category. A breakdown by sex is provided where appropriate.
Exposure Category Male Female Total
Male-to-male sexual contact 420,790 - 420,790
Injection Drug Use 172,351 67,917 240,268
Male-to-male sexual contact and injection drug use 59,719 - 59,719
Heterosexual contact 50,793 84,835 135,628
Other* 14,350 6,519 20,869
* Includes hemophilia, blood transfusion, perinatal,
and risk not reported or not identified.

Nobody is immune...certain groups still are MUCH high risk

freako104

Gato_Solo said:
Tell that to the native Americans who contracted syphyllis from European sailors...

Most people did have to worry about it, so they created their society around the problems they had.

AIDS, however, is not a Sexually Transmitted Disease. It is easily passed through sexual conduct, but it is also passed through other means. Blood transfer is the easiest way...

Did you know that most people who die of AIDS don't die from the HIV at all? They die from an STD they contracted through unsafe sex. Their bodies no longer have an immune system capable of limiting the damage, and anti-biotics no longer work on some strains.

I thought with AIDS anything is much worse as your bodys defense system is basically shut down so even a cold could kill someone?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Gato_Solo said:

If you show me a 1950, 1960, 1970. 1980 or 1990 study that said that 50% of the adolescent population will contact one or more STD's in the foreseeable future, I'll withdraw my statement.

Until then I stand by the fact that MOST people didn't have to worry about contracting a sexually transmitted disease in their lifetime.

[edit to add one of many stories]
50% of Americans will get sex disease by 25 years of age
24 Feb 2004

According to a number of reports, 50% of America’s youth will get a sexually transmitted disease (STD) by the time they are twenty-five years old.

Several reasons have been offered for this. The most likely is that young people in America are either ignorant about protection or are too embarrassed to ask for protection.

In the year 2000 there were 9 million new cases of STDs among under 24s in the USA.

If the American government continues telling schools to tell kids that abstinence is the only choice things will just get worse. Basically, telling this to kids is just playing the ostrich (pretending something is not happening when it is happening all around you).

Advocates for Youth is one such organisation. Their president, James Wagoner, said 'For the 27 million young Americans under the age of 25 who have had sex, the stakes are simply too high to talk only about abstinence. Given the prevalence of STDs, young people need all the facts -- including medically accurate information on condoms. Approximately 18.9 million new cases of STD occurred in 2000, of which 9.1 million (48 percent) were among persons aged 15 to 24.”

The most common STDs among the young are genital warts (human papillomavirus), trichomoniasis and Chlamydia.

chcr

Too cute for words
freako104 said:
I thought with AIDS anything is much worse as your bodys defense system is basically shut down so even a cold could kill someone?

That's right, freako. HIV doesn't kill you, but it can (and usually eventually does) lead to AIDS (Acquired Immuno-Deficiency Syndrome). AIDS affects your immune system. The cold doesn't kill you, it turns into pnuemonia and that does.

Nobody is immune...certain groups still are MUCH high risk

That's true for America. In Africa I belive the ratio is weighted much more toward the heterosexual side. Of course I think I've read that 80% of the AIDS deaths so far have occurred there. The gap between homosexuals and heterosexuals in America is narrowing slowly as well. Sad when you think how easily preventable it is, huh?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I don't think the gap is closing as fast as some predict. Some story I perused awhile back pointed to a gigantic upsurge in homosexual HIV numbers. It seems as though they aren't concerned anymore.

All STDs could be stopped quite easily...if only :shrug:

freako104

ok then. you go tell everyone sex is now illegal for their own protection. if that ever happens Ill be a criminal and proud to be one too.

BeardofPants

Well of course it is the homosexuals' fault that there is a sexual pandemic. I think we should all castrate them at the knees and smack the silly with wet smelly fishesss. :rolleyes:

*nicks gonz' pants* :la:

chcr

Too cute for words
You know, hardly anyone ever discusses the real cause of AIDS, sailors fucking monkeys 30 years ago. I guess that must have been some time warp/wormhole/retrograde effect of the slippery slope that some people seem to think we're on now.