Atkins Health & Nutrition

Rose

From spotting mentions here and there, some of you say you're into the low-carb habits.

Anyone wanna share stories, recipes, etc?

My husband and I are reading the book now and haven't quite started, but will by March 1st at least. I'm going to combine the low-carb Atkins diet with 'the smart technique' to hopefully make it a little easier.

Anyway ... comments?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
my only comment is that it's easy to go way high fat on this diet, and still continue to lose...so I worry that although pants fit, some will end up sicker than they were a little larger. just be careful with that.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
I used it as a crash diet, but it wasn't the real atkins, it was the meat and eggs, and cheese only diet, lost a lot fast, but I couldn't continue it

now it's just hell trying to get back on it

HomeLAN

The first two weeks are the toughest. When you can go from 20 G carbs to 25 g, it gets a lot better. I've had a doctor tell me that there are two potential issues here. One is the fat intake, and its possible effect on your blood pressure. Please monitor that. The other is that it apparently raises your chances of kidney stones (who knew?). This is easily avoidable, but you need to be careful about drinking plenty of water. About 6 8 oz. glasses a day, IIRC.

It works, though. Been about 2.5 weeks, and I've dropped 12 pounds. My belt setting that was a little tight is now a little loose.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I eat what I want, when I want. I may die young, but by god, I'll be a happy dead guy.

HomeLAN

He also had a type of heart disease which contributed to that. Not saying it was the entire cause, but it looks like it was at least contributory.

tonksy

i don't know that i am on "the atkins diet"...i just don't eat alot of carbs :shrug:...i don't eat much of anything really...but i'm also not hungry and take multivitamins :eh: i'm losing a good bit of weight...i think..i haven't stepped on a scale since malory was a baby but i was a size 16 and now i'm almost a size 10....can't argue with that.

unclehobart

Atkins was 195 and died in a coma from a head injury slipping on an icy sidewalk. That other stuff is just internet rubbish.

Went on a hyper restrictive Atkins diet last April. I dropped from 285 to 195 in 7 months.

2 tablespoons of sugar in my morning tea... my only carbs
the equivalent of 800 calories in pure protein as I could find ... tuna, chicken, turkey, ham, lean deli meats ... almost no fat
5-10 miles of treadmill/running per day
2 hours in the gym 6 days/week

Such a regimen was done for 13 days straight. On the 14th day I would rest and eat anything I desired... usually something like a 12 pack and 20 biscuits with jams, jellies, poached eggs with hollandiase, barbecue, candy... and most importantly ... fruit. I missed fruit most of all.

My caloric expenditure was roughly 1100 calories a day in straight exercise whereas my caloric intake was only 1000 at best. The simple metabolic baseline of 100 calories per 15 pounds of non fat mass and 3 per 10 pounds of fat mass on a typical person added up to about a total shortfall of 1500-1800 calories a day. I lost 3-5 pounds a week in massive 20 pound increments, my weight would plateau for 7-12 days, then fall rapidly again.

Such overdosing on protein is fairly hard on the kidneys. It is essential to drink plenty of water and take a multivitamin. I would also suggest a trip to the local health food store to acquire:
EFA (essential fatty acids): keeps headaches at bay, helps the healing process, acts as a general overall metabolic reinforcer, helps keep your body from attacking the muscle instead of the fat, great for the skin, and keeps your hair roots from being damaged by such a dramatic lifestyle change.
Magnesium Oxide: metabolic reinforcer, great for bones... better for joints
Calcium: supposedly liked to tricking fat cells into surrendering their stored energy a bit easier, bones.
Alpha Lipoic Acid with NAC: Keeps the toxins from building up in your system ... its a god send for weightlifters and anyone doing a high protein based diet.
Milk Thistle: Keeps the liver and kideys tuned like a racecar so that the toxins are flushed all the more easily.

Those are the calm and simple nutrients. If you want a rull rundown on all of the harsh stuff, let me know. It tends to get a little expensive after you get about 20 bottles of pills that you take on a daily basis.

unclehobart

Rose said:
:D Thanks Unc. :D

During your first two weeks, what was a typical breakfast like?
Strong black tea and about 20 pills of various origins. I had a hard and fast rule that I wouldn't eat real food until I did the exercise to pay for it in advance. That pretty much made first morsels available to me at 11am... usually a can of tuna.

unclehobart

Rose said:
anything you do'nt have to cook? *is lazy, specially in the mornings*
Thin sliced deli meats. One little 2oz packet is usually only about 150 calories and almost 100% protein.