Aurora Borealis

MrBishop

samcurry said:
bish, can you take any pics? id love to see them if you do.

Pics just wouldn't cut it...it's a moving phenomenon. I kind of looks like waves of shimmering colour across the skies. The waves change colour as you look...there are pinks, blues, purples etc... you can almost hear the sound of it in your ears as you look. If it were possible to hear it, it'd sound like waves comeing into the shore.

My digipics wouldn't really cut it .. it'd be about as detailed as a wax-crayon doodle. I'll see if I can find a nice link to a pic and post it on here.
aurora-display.jpg

aurora.300.jpg

Rose

Re: Timelapse

Not seen them in my lifetime so far, but OKlahoma doesn't provide much of a chance. Though, they have reached this far south once before - few years ago or so, my friend saw 'em.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Spirit posted some nice shots outside her house last year....we were all supposed to go cuddle in a quilt and watch them....how come nobody picked me up? *handonhip

Squiggy

ThunderDick
HERE it is....There are some great pics and links in the thread too....

:yell: Spirit! ...we miss you....Come see us more often...:hug:

tommyj27

Not really Banned
i've seen em once, 4/20/2. If it weren't for these stupid clouds I'd be out checking it out again.

breaky

never seen it but i have caught a glimpse of the aurora australis, the southern version, very trippy after a few beers on the beach

chcr

Too cute for words
Used to see them several times a year when I was growing up in upstate New York, but the really bright fantastic ones weren't all that common.

Mirlyn

I heard this explosion from the sun this morning may make them visible as far south as the southern US.....

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
you may want to consider the possibility

mdf394386.jpg

Scientists again warned that communications on Earth could be disrupted this week by another spectacular eruption on the surface of the Sun and that it might even hamper firefighting efforts in California.

"It's headed straight for us like a freight train," said John Kohl, a solar astrophysicist at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics in Cambridge, Mass. "This is the real thing."

Predictions are it could strike Earth's magnetic field by midday Wednesday.

unclehobart

The weather is so foul and cloudlocked that I can't see the moon and stars, let alone the aurora. I think this one is going to get past me yet again.

Mirlyn

unclehobart said:
The weather is so foul and cloudlocked that I can't see the moon and stars, let alone the aurora. I think this one is going to get past me yet again.
Yeah, same here. Clouded up within the past two hours. :hmm:

*shakes fist in air*