Bananas

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
DAMN bananas! For SO long all the bananas we had were too ripe! Last night we got more and now they are not ripe enough! AHHH!

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Place them someplace warm, and they will ripen in no time. Remember...warm, not hot. :D

Scanty

Yeah, I HATE bananas that are too ripe.
I just take a few and put them on my shelf in my bedroom so no one else can eat them. Then I wait...

:headbang:

Gato_Solo

I know, Luis. I can remember when all the bananas were yellow with light brown spots when they arrived in the stores. Now they come green, and we have to wait for them to ripen. I wonder if our children here in the US will grow up thinking yellow bananas are rotten because the store sells them when they're still green.

As a side note...Plantain bananas (Platanos in Panama) are supposed to be dark, even green. You peel them (not an easy task...use a knife to score first), slice them into thin circles (no more than 1/4 inch thick), lightly salt them, and then deep fry them until they start to turn golden. Then you take them out of the oil, flatten them a little bit (one good whack with the bottom of a can works fairly well), and fry them one more time until they float to the surface. Scoop them out, and drain them on a rack over a paper towel or two. Eat with ketchup (kind of like fries...). :D

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
ohhhhh, i think those fit in the description of "platano macho" (male banana), even thou, those are yellow with dark areas.

Gato_Solo

Eventually, they turn yellow and get semi-sweet. I'm sure they are the same thing, though. Try that recipe (it's called "patacones"), but don't go overboard with the salt...

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
i've eaten platano macho cooked that way. didn't like it.

i guess i will stick with potatoes for a while :D

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
over-ripe bananas, vanilla ice cream, milk. put into blender. blend. a semi-healthy snack