Batch files

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
if you can execute ipconfig without having to do cd \winnt\system32, then i'm 100% sure the program will work.

greenfreak

Update!

It worked, but only on 98 and 2000 pc's. We're having problems with the Windows 95 pc's. Since I'm not sure how to do it the way you said, I was wondering if there was a way to make an exe file just for 95 pc's? I would still do it the batch file way but ipconfig is not a valid command in 95...

I'm stumped. We have so many 95 pc's that I have to get a solution. If you think you can help, I'd appreciate it. :)

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
have you tried copying ipconfig.exe from a 98 box to the 95 box? Might just work.

Luis G

Staff member
As far as i remember, win98 doesn't have an ipconfig either :confuse3:

Tomorrow or after tomorrow i'll check the parameters for winipcfg, and build the new file.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Luis G said:
As far as i remember, win98 doesn't have an ipconfig either

Oh shit, that's right, it is winipcfg on 9X boxes. Sorry, been a year or so since I used 9X.

greenfreak

Thanks man, I wish I knew how to do it myself but I don't. And I appreciate your help! Is it difficult to learn? I know DOS and a little of Unix commands (but they're pretty much the same properties, just different commands). I'm not talking learning a whole programming language, just the basics. It would also help so that if people start asking questions about these files, I can answer them. :D

Puter, thanks sweetie. I also didn't realize ipconfig wasn't a valid command in 98. So doing that batch file wouldn't have helped me either. This one's more tricky than it looks I guess.

Luis G

Staff member
ok, this one SHOULD do it without showing the window.

And it will only work under win9x.

Luis G

Staff member
in case the other doesn't work, use this one, however, according to the documentation, it will write the output to a log file, which is not nice.

greenfreak

Luis, thanks so much! That's great, I'm working tomorrow and have a 95 pc on my bench, so I can try it out then!

I thought I had asked too much of you and was prepared to leave you alone about it. I told this guy but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. I think I won't tell him about this, see what he comes up with.

Then again, maybe I shouldn't. I look up to him but he might be the kind of guy to develop something on his own and then take the credit. Hrm. You know what, I will tell him.

thanks Luis. :kiss:

Luis G

Staff member
Don't worry, just right click on the file, properties, and you'll see a wonderful "Luis G, Morelia, México", when he feels like taking the credit, show him that in front of a bunch of people ;)
The app for doing it under win2k/xp has a "espacially made for Trish" or something like that.

I left to Leon, and i was bussy, i didn't have the time to do it, i don't use win98 too much, and my development tools are installed only in win2k, so debuging the code is difficult, if it doesn't work, let me know and i'll fix it.

Luis G

Staff member
Since i'm leaving again tomorrow, i'll tested the programs under win98, the first works, but shows the windows, it should not do that :confuse3:

Anyway, the 2nd works like you want to, but it creates an winipcfg.out file, that shouldn't be a big problem thou.

greenfreak

lol I like your comments on the program, that's very cool. :)

So, you were testing the last one you posted in all OS and it works but it creates an output file? Hell, if that's the case, I'll take it! I'm looking for ease of use, as my users are not that bright. If this file gets put in the startup folder and is run every day, do you think that output file could get large? Does it write to it each time the file is accessed or is it a one time thing?

I'll take both of them and test today on all three OS. Hell, I've got the time. I'm at work till 4. :grumpy:

Luis G

Staff member
renew9x does work, but it shows the winipcfg windows, which is not what you want.

The last one i did (renew9x2), doesn't show the windows, and it only works on win9x, not tested under win95 thou.

For win2k/XP you'll have to use the one you already have (renewhide.zip)

As for the log file, i don't know how how it works, you'll have to check it out, and if it happens to append, just delete the winipcfg.out file after 6 months.

Luis G

Staff member
I just got an idea, i'll make the program delete the file for you.

I'm leaving in a few minutes, so i don't have the time to test it, it will do the same as renew9x2, but it will also invoke a "del winipcfg.out", which might not work.

Let me know, and if there's a problem i will check it when i come back.