bBook erader

MrBishop

I'm considering getting myself an eBook reader similar to the Sony PRS-505. Being an avid reader, I like the idea of carrying one 'book' with potentially hundreds of books within it. Effectivly, my own library at my fingertips.

I'm looking for someone with expereince, or someone who's shopped around for one - with some pro's and con's that might help me make up my mind

*In the past, I've used my Palm Pilot as an eBook reader..but the screen's too damn small.*

Professur

Get a better palm instead. I read all the Wizard of Oz books on my Palm V without any trouble. The definitions on the newer ones is staggering.

tonksy

I know someone who raves about her Kindle. The problem I have is paying $10 plus on a book. That's apparently the going rate on Amazon for ebook downloads.

MrBishop

Get a better palm instead. I read all the Wizard of Oz books on my Palm V without any trouble. The definitions on the newer ones is staggering.
I have the M500 now... screen's still pretty small in comparison to the 5x7" Sony one. Havn't played with a PalmV tho'

MrBishop

I know someone who raves about her Kindle. The problem I have is paying $10 plus on a book. That's apparently the going rate on Amazon for ebook downloads.

I use Gutenberg Project for a lot of my reading materials...a bit dated but there ya go. $10 is a chunk of change for an eBook to be sure, but far cheaper than $28-$35 for hardcovers ;) I've seen some eBooks on there for $3-8 as well.... their choice isn't very large as of yet. I can't find Robert Jordan's work on there in digital formats. :p

Professur

If I recall, the 500 was the V's younger, better brother. Only real diff was the add on memory slot.

MrBishop

If I recall, the 500 was the V's younger, better brother. Only real diff was the add on memory slot.

Pretty much, yeah. Same goes for the 505...but that one came with more memory. I like the rechargeable battery thing - no more having to load AAAs into it.

Professur

Yeah, you'll lke it right up until that battery needs changed, and its cheaper to buy a new one.

chcr

Too cute for words
I used to read 'em on a Zire 71, now I use the Blackberry. You can adjust the text size.

pc_builder

I've heard about the Kindle. But I don't know about ebooks. What if I don't like the book?

I think I'll just keep getting my books for free by utilizing this invention called "library". :D

MrBishop

Two things turn me off about the Kindle - it's more propietary than the Sony product and it's $100 more expensive.

MrBishop

I've heard about the Kindle. But I don't know about ebooks. What if I don't like the book?

I think I'll just keep getting my books for free by utilizing this invention called "library". :D
My local library sucks...the opening hours are horrible and the selection, pretty bad. I try to go to pick up 'chapter books' to read to my son at bedtime.

pc_builder

My local library sucks...the opening hours are horrible and the selection, pretty bad. I try to go to pick up 'chapter books' to read to my son at bedtime.

Dang. I think we have a good library here. Heck, they even tore it down! :D

Building a newer and bigger one in the same spot.