Before the "It's so cold" threads start

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Beat this
Jan 17, 2005 — Temperatures plummeted across the eastern half of the nation Monday, approaching an all-time record in northern Minnesota and freezing the Gulf Coast as a river of Arctic air pushed southward.

Thermometers registered a low of 54 degrees below zero at Embarrass, Minn.

"You keep living, but it gets old after a while," said Christine Mackai, the town clerk for the community of 691 people in northeast Minnesota.

Minnesota's record is 60 below, set on Feb. 2, 1996, in Tower, about 10 miles north of Embarrass.

MrBishop

-47celcius... that's a tough one to beat. We're only estimating -30 for tonight (counting windchill) ...mind you, that's par for the course. Thursday, we're getting -25 for a low (not including windchill)

A.B.Normal

Thermometers registered a low of 54 degrees below zero at Embarrass, Minn.

I wouldn't bare any body part at that temp,let alone my ass. It was -9cel (-12 wc)here on Sat. and I couldn't f@cking believe how cold it felt.

unclehobart

The coldest I ever experienced was during a deep winter wedding in Chicago of... hmm... 84? I was unprepared with thinish clothes and a windbreaker for something like -20 temps.

Stop Laughing

Shoulda come in the heat and humidity in the summer, you would've felt right at home.

We had some heavy rains and snow melts right before our big cold blast. In fact, it dropped from 62 (17 C) to 4 (-15 C) in less than 3 days during those rains and that led to a real big problem down south near the rivers: frozen floods, yikes.

HeXp£Øi±

MrBishop said:
-47celcius... that's a tough one to beat. We're only estimating -30 for tonight (counting windchill) ...mind you, that's par for the course. Thursday, we're getting -25 for a low (not including windchill)

That's F not C.

Been there done that. :D

Sharky

The forecast for here is calling for a low of 24 F tonight and 23 F tomorrow night. That's cold enough, thankyouverymush. Only five more weeks until springtime, yay.

I don't see how you Northerners can stand it up there. :confused:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
It's -15C, feels like -25 here right now. Really bitter cold but not so cold your eyeballs freeze...yet...those are the days I hate the most...all while I was waiting for the bus I kept thinking "Atleast my eyeballs aren't frozen"

Dave

i can deal with sinus freeze. might even be able to deal with frozen eyeballs. what i really hate is those damn leather seats in the car at night when i leave work. things just crawl up deep inside to stay warm. makes it tough to pee.

AlphaTroll

We've been having uncharacteristically (is that even a word?) cold weather due to all the rain - the high has only reached about 25ºC :(

Mare

Sharky said:
The forecast for here is calling for a low of 24 F tonight and 23 F tomorrow night. That's cold enough, thankyouverymush. Only five more weeks until springtime, yay.

I don't see how you Northerners can stand it up there. :confused:

Yeah and last week we were hitting in the high 70's in the afternoon. WTF is this, January, and its in the high 70's???? Where's the freaking snow on the ground, and the sleds and snowball fights???
Although, I don't miss the ice storms, but alittle snow to kill the freaking viruses here would be nice!!! :alienhuh: