Beijing 2008

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
OLYM0001.GIF

Anybody interested?

Politics have already overrun the games.

Mirlyn

The Travel Channel has been doing specials on China all week....neat to watch.

Aren't they being held later in the year this time? I thought they were earlier in the summer....

A.B.Normal

OLYM0001.GIF

Anybody interested?

Politics have already overrun the games.

Have for quite a few of the previous ones.The problem I have is most events are taped for televising when the audience is going to be largest,so the results are anti-climactic.

Mirlyn

That I could see, being the other hemisphere. Looks like Bejing is about as "northern" as Kansas City, based on latitude.

Guess its just nifty to use 8.8.08 this year.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I think it's typically in August for summer Olympics (unless it's in Austrailia of course).

I've never been huge on summer Olympics, I'm excited for 2010 in Vancouver. The last winter Olympics I hated having to go to class because I wanted to stay home and watch. I'm going to Vancouver in 2010 to go to some events.

A.B.: It's not anti-climatic if you don't check the results before you watch the days events. I ONLY get Olympic info from CBC on TV, that way I see the events without knowing the outcome.

Mirlyn

Cam thought it was in June when it was in Montreal. She remembers watching and cheering Canada and Greece in races behind her parents house.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Athens (2004) was in August

It seems that usually it's late July/Early August (including Montreal which opened July 17)

A.B.Normal

Cam thought it was in June when it was in Montreal. She remembers watching and cheering Canada and Greece in races behind her parents house.

I think that was back when both summer and winter games were held the same year,that may have effected the schedule.

MrBishop

I'm looking forward to hearing about the games...but without cable TV - seeing them would mean going to a sports bar. :p

MrBishop

Seems that the IOC is setting up a YouTube channel for sporting events

www.youtube.com/beijing2008

It's Geo-specific - so if you're logging in from the USA, you get video of events that have American participants etc...

It's also "Not available" for Canada :p