Big brother is now starting...

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
BOCA RATON, Fla., May 10 — A Florida family on Friday became the first to be implanted with computer chips that researchers hope will someday become an easy way to provide emergency room staffers with patients’ medical information.

The next step is readers at transportation centers...

Source...

unclehobart

I think that family sued for the right to forcibly implant themsleves. I dont think any govt agency was involved.

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
I have mixed feelings about this. The technology has very promising benefits, and in an enlightened society would seem the natural course of cultural and technological development.

Sad as it is, we are hardly an enlightened society.

ol' man

I made a thread about this in the general section over at HWC and it got deleted cause sexyMF started using racist comments.

Anyway here is some more news on it!

Eight people get ID chips implanted today

No, I'm not telling you where I am
By Mike Magee, 10/05/2002 08:13:39 BST

DOCTORS HAVE STARTED implanting silicon chips with personal data accessible by ysing hand held scanner.
The LA Times reported that the VeriChip, made by Applied Digital Solutions, is merely the first in a series of more advanced devices that will be able to receive GPS signals.

The first eight people to receive the VeriChips are people with Alzheimer's disease, and this type of application has obvious benefits.

But the chips, which according to the paper are about the size of a rice grain, could be used for more sinister applications.

Last February, Pat Gelsinger, chief technical officer of Intel, told the INQUIRER that in a year or two "motes" operating at radio frequency and containing data, would be omnipresent over a period of time.

He pointed out the usefulness of knowing where any family member, for example, was at any given time, and rejected suggestions that such "motes" constituted any privacy threat.

Thing is, here in the UK, any objection to extending the cloak of gookdom is met with the stock: "If you've nothing to hide, why should you mind".

This argument has led to practically every city centre here using CCTV cameras, and even sick TV programmes using such footage to show people having sex in lifts, or puking in the street after a long night out.

"Security", many people suspect, is really just "Insecurity". µ

http://www.theinquirer.net/10050201.htm

Well anyway when they come will you take the chip or will you take death or imprisonment? They will come!

lorrimar

Originally posted by ol' man
I made a thread about this in the general section over at HWC and it got deleted cause sexyMF started using racist comments.

i was wonderin what had happened to it.

i don't know about the rest of you guys, but just the though that the government might get it in their heads that everyone needs these things w/ a global tracking system built into them gives me the screaming heebie geebies!!

but that could just be me being paranoid. :D

Q

Would they be able to change the information on the chip after it was implanted? Say for example a woman gets married or a baby gets adopted or a person is diagnosed with diabetes?