Birding (warning-lots of pics)

greenfreak

It sounded so fuddy-duddy to me when I first thought about it, but alas it's become another hobby. Birding. Seeking out birds with binoculars or in my case, the camera's zoom lens.

I feed them, but I normally only get the typical birds you see in my area. The occasional surprise comes along, like a few months ago when I saw my first tufted titmouse:

tufted_titmouse2.jpg

But today, Rusty and I decided to go on our first photo-taking outing with the new camera. It snowed last night so we were really only expecting to take pictures of snowy trees, snowy houses. But then, I spotted a pretty big bird landing on the chimney of a house. I ran over and took this picture:​

unk_bird.jpg

That, my friends, is a Coopers Hawk. A hawk, three blocks from my house. Wild.​

We were inspired so we went to where we knew there would be lots of birds, ducks and geese; at a pond.​

Here is Mr. Mute Swan:​

swan_head.jpg

And Mr. Mallard:​

duck_mallard.jpg

This one seems confused about his sexuality:​

duck_mallard2.jpg

Putting your ducks in a row:​

ducksinarow.jpg

habanero

I found this messing around on the net.
It's a little freaky, but cool.

Freaky cool, yeah.

20050217357E245.jpg

Sorry for the size, I'm not all that computer savvy.

Inkara1

Glad I caught that link before its certain removal. Lots of pics there... and that "the Gates" "art" project is just as ugly from the air as it is at ground level.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
habanero said:
I found this messing around on the net.
It's a little freaky, but cool.

Freaky cool, yeah.

Sorry for the size, I'm not all that computer savvy.
that's awesome!

greenfreak

Thanks guys. I guess there aren't any other birders about? Spring and fall are great times to observe them, while they're coming and going during migration.

Tonks, if you get hummingbirds, count yourself lucky. There are hardly any where I live for some reason. It's so easy to feed them too, all you need is sugarwater.

Inky, you have the same ducks as I do. :D We're not supposed to feed the birds but I was throwing pieces of snow to get them to come closer, thinking they were getting a handout.

BoP, I just bought a Nikon D70 two weeks ago. There's a thread in the Science & Technology forum about all the other stuff I got with it. The zoom lens really comes in handy, I was about 30 feet away from the swan and at least 10-20 feet away from the other ducks.

Dave

not too many birds around here this time of year. ducks, canadian geese and seagulls are about it.

greenfreak

Spot said:
not too many birds around here this time of year. ducks, canadian geese and seagulls are about it.
That's what you would think, right? There's a guy on my birding message board who takes photos of birds in Central Park. He's got recent pictures of birds I've never heard of before. I'd be willing to bet if you put up a bird feeder and a birdbath, you would get cardinals, finches, doves, chickadees, woodpeckers (they eat more than just wood), titmice, goldfinches and probably more I can't think of right now.

Alaska, that's a great shot of a bald eagle! I've never seen one before, firsthand. Do you have any more photos online? I'd love to see them, and what kinds of birds you get by you.