Birding (warning-lots of pics)

tonksy

no hummingbirds up there? wow..we had tons of them in louisiana and i saw a few here last year without the aid of the sugar water...so we should be in good shape :D

Alaska

greenfreak said:
Alaska, that's a great shot of a bald eagle! I've never seen one before, firsthand. Do you have any more photos online? I'd love to see them, and what kinds of birds you get by you.

We have feeders all around our house and see chickadees, redpolls, woodpeckers, grosbeaks, ravens, magpies, gray jays year round. In summer we have white and gold crown sparrows, siskins, rusty blackbirds, and dozens of varieties of warblers. Across the street on a small lake we have many different kinds of ducks coming and going, swans and geese.

I have eagles and sea birds on this site http://www.eaglestation.com/photography.html

Inkara1

Hummingbirds are a common sight around here too.

I'm thinking that once I finally can afford a house, I want to get a bird feeder. Of course, I also want to get a cat. :D

HomeLAN

Hawk in the neighborhood, huh? I'm betting small pets have a short life expectancy around your place. :D

Beautiful pics.

greenfreak

Tonks, I've heard of other people on Long Island that have them but they seem to like the eastern part, it's more rural. Anything I put up would become a bee-feeder, not a hummingbird feeder. :)

Alaska, thanks for the link. I'll peruse it when I have more surf time! If you ever want to meet a nice bunch of birders and post your pics for some ooh-ing and aah-ing, take a look here: http://nature.gardenweb.com/forums/bird/

Ugh, cats. I'm not a big fan to begin with (doesn't help that I'm allergic) but I have two that stalk my bird feeders and occasionally catch one and kill it. I've resorted to spraying vinegar under my bushes to keep them away. Birds like shelter in bushes and trees when they feed but unfortunately, they are the same conditions that allow the cats to stalk them.