Birthday Present for my mom

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I need to figure out what to get my mom for her birthday 9 days from now.

I did super good with her Mother's Day gift and now I need to figure what to get her for her birthday. I'm not gonna do a "Hey Kyle, wanna pay for half of _____ for Mom?" again cause I wanna see if he sinks or swims when left on his own to get a present. But, I still need to think of what to get from me.

*sigh*

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
She'll be 49.

She enjoys riding bike, gardening but not to the extreme (I got her a blueberry bush for mother's day), reading short stories and she doesn't spend enough money on herself when it comes to thinks that she WANTS rather than NEEDS.

Last year we outfitted her with fun gadgets for her bike (Speedometer/Odometer, and lights). She likes clothes but already has more than any one person needs.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Sounds silly, but the fugly shoes maybe? They'd at least work for on the bike and in the garden.

What does she like to indulge in but won't spend money on? Books? Getting her nails done?

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
No fugly shoes...I tried to talk her into getting some and she has no interest in it.

Books yes, I am going to TRY to find a chicken soup (or similar) book she hasn't yet read.

She's not into getting her nails done or pedicures or anything like that...no massages (she's creeped out by the thought of a stranger's hands all over her).

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I was thinking if she really likes books, a Chapters or some other bookstore GC. In a package with chocolates and a tea mug and special teabags or whatever she likes. That'd show her you want her to feel pampered/tended to a little.

I say giftcard so she can have the guilt free opportunity go in and browse for a good long while and get what she really wants and feel all special about it. There's nothing like "I really shouldn't spend this on myself because we can't afford it and the roof has a leak and there's no groceries" for decades and decades to ruin a shopping experience like buying books forever.

I got my first Chapters GC at Christmas - I guess I really appreciated it :lloyd:

Bookstore GC is exchangeable with any other store in which she can feel carefreer than usual and get something nice for herself that she wouldn't get anyway, but that's my line of thinking for mom gifts usually.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
BAH I lost my post.

Long story short everything you said makes sense, she used to make a lot less than she does now so isn't really used to being able to spend on wants guilt free.

I'm gonna give some thought to the specific type of gift card and pair that with some nice teas from second cup or something and maybe some nice candles. She doesn't need anymore mugs (we have OODLES here and she has one special just for her and rather large mug that I gave her for Christmas a few years ago...)

Dave

bowling ball or drill bits.

why not something like tickets to a play or some other cultural type thingy.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Inky: She has a George Foreman and a Chia pet is SO more me than her

Dave: She doesn't bowl and has more than enough drill bits.

I was thinking concert...she's not so much for the sitting still for along time watching movies and such so I dunno how a play would go over...and my concert idea is squashed by trying to find something decent on a weekend she isn't working.

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
Hot Air Balloon ride?

A photo gallery.. a dozen frames with pics of family from your parents marriage to now.

Black and white sketch made from a picture of you and your Mom when you were little.

Does she like to watch movies? Get her a new nightgown, slippers, a couple of movies...?

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Re: Hot air balloon ride. She's afraid of heights...she gets all squeemish when I tell her how I walk around on the roofs of highrises.

Re: Grandchild. I'd like her to not lose her respect for me as part of a birthday gift...

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
She'll be 49.

She enjoys riding bike, gardening but not to the extreme (I got her a blueberry bush for mother's day), reading short stories and she doesn't spend enough money on herself when it comes to thinks that she WANTS rather than NEEDS.

Last year we outfitted her with fun gadgets for her bike (Speedometer/Odometer, and lights). She likes clothes but already has more than any one person needs.

Wow, let's not tell my mom I thought she was two years older than she really was...she's just turning 49 this year. OOPS!