Blair's "terror laws" shot down in Parliament

Bobby Hogg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4422086.stm

Big story over here right now. Tony Blair has suffered his first defeat in the Commons since being elected Prime Minister in 1997.

I do think it is a good thing that police have not been given the power to detain people without charge for 90 days, however I dislike the tone and the manner in which the law was shot down. It was done to teach Tony Blair a lesson or to trip him up, not because these MPs believed it was right.

The majority of the country apparently believes these laws are necessary. I don't agree with the laws as I have said, but I also do not agree with MPs using their public mandate to make a point against the Prime Minister, rather than using it to vote for what the public wants.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
That's happening here too, over health care though. Not just to make a point, but to force an election. I lose what little respect I had for all of them with their stoopid little games.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Here either. Then again, a lot of people do. I actually agree with the stance they took on it, it's the stoopid money and time wasting games around it that I take umbrage to.

MrBishop

Join the club.... politics is like tap dancing in a mine-field. Plenty of people that you can set off, and you have to go a circuotous route just to get to the other side.