Bobby Fischer to be repatriated to USA

MrBishop

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japanese immigration officials have rejected ex-world chess champion Bobby Fischer's appeal of their decision to deport him and Fischer may now take his case to the justice minister, a Canadian advising Fischer said on Thursday.

Fischer, 61, wanted by Washington for defying sanctions by playing a match in Yugoslavia in 1992, was detained at Tokyo's Narita airport on July 15 when he tried to leave for the Philippines on a passport U.S. officials have said was invalid.

Fischer, one of the great eccentrics of the chess world, has been wanted by the United States since 1992 when he played -- and won -- a match against old rival Boris Spassky in Yugoslavia.

That brought him into conflict with the U.S. authorities, since economic sanctions against Yugoslavia were in force at the time.

Perhaps the best, or most well known Chess Grand-Master that the USA has ever produced is being hunted by the American GVT for - playing chess? What gives?

Source

Digital

I'm with you on this one, Bishop.
See, this is the kind of bullshit I think everyone in office should be shot over. (EVERYONE, all the way down to the Senitors and Congressmen) What he did does not hurt anyone. It doesn't even fuck with global politics, and yet they're still going to arrest him.

MrBishop

It's worst than that... he put America on the Chess-map! Made a houshold name of himself..there's even a movie called "Searching for Bobby Fischer" f'r crissakes.

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Bush should 'forgive' him for what amounts to a non-crime.

ResearchMonkey

Before he is forgiven, he should be willing to take the bumps he know he earned. Just becuase he is *special does not exclude him from the rule of law.

I will agree that the spirit of the law does not intend to keep 'board game strategey' from the sactioned country.

But he knew what he was doing, he needs to be willing to face the consiquences of actions. I am sure he will not get treated as if he sold them something of value. They will go light on him.

UNLESS: if there is a mandatory sentance for his crime. Then the judge will not have the leeway to simply scold him, welcome him back home, and send him on his way.

MrBishop

ResearchMonkey said:
Before he is forgiven, he should be willing to take the bumps he know he earned. Just becuase he is *special does not exclude him from the rule of law.

I will agree that the spirit of the law does not intend to keep 'board game strategey' from the sactioned country.

But he knew what he was doing, he needs to be willing to face the consiquences of actions. I am sure he will not get treated as if he sold them something of value. They will go light on him.

UNLESS: if there is a mandatory sentance for his crime. Then the judge will not have the leeway to simply scold him, welcome him back home, and send him on his way.

Illuminate me...there was a trade embargo/economic sanctions. He wasn't trading with them. Was there a travel embargo?

I know that some Americans go to Cuba on vacation, and there's a trade embargo there...what gives?

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
MrBishop said:
Illuminate me...there was a trade embargo/economic sanctions. He wasn't trading with them. Was there a travel embargo?

I know that some Americans go to Cuba on vacation, and there's a trade embargo there...what gives?

Yes, there was a travel embargo unless you had permission from the government, or were on a government-sanctioned mission. The travel embargo on Cuba is not a total embargo, as there is one flight, per year, per family member, to travel to Cuba for the purpose of visiting relatives...or you have an assignment to Gitmo...No other travel is permitted without express permission from the state department (journalists, et al).

ResearchMonkey

Americans are allowed to travel to Cuba a specific number of trips over a specific length of time. It seems in this case there were not allowed concessions to do what ever the actual violation was.

THe story states said:
Fischer, 61, wanted by
THe story states said:
Washington for defying sanctions by playing a match in Yugoslavia in 1992, ?

My guess he knew he was not suppose to go there to play, such is the nature of aristocratic events of national pride.

His intent has nothing to do with whether or not he broke the rules, he broke them. He chose to go against the rule of law; now he must be willing to accept the consequences of his actions.

Now enlighten me. Why can he choose to willingly break the law and be excused from it because his intents were admirable? Remember this, justice is blind.

PowerballWinner

I actually think the sanctions idea is stupid. It shouldn't matter if someone plays chess against someone else in a country that's been "sanctionized". One more reason why I just might vote Libertarian

ResearchMonkey

A sanction is not a static form they pull from a drawer, it's created specifically for the situation at hand.

Why didn't they just play somewhere else? . . . legal like.

MrBishop

ResearchMonkey said:
A sanction is not a static form they pull from a drawer, it's created specifically for the situation at hand.

Why didn't they just play somewhere else? . . . legal like.

He was to play the then world champion...a Yugoslavian (Boris Spassky).

Here's an odd bit.

According to Bosnitch and other supporters, who have formed a "Free Bobby Fischer Committee," Fischer traveled frequently, and was even issued a new passport by the United States in 1997.

This is not helping though:
Though Fischer has kept a low profile in recent years, he was frequently interviewed by a radio station in the Philippines. In one session he praised the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, saying America should be "wiped out" and describing Jews as "thieving, lying bastards."

Same source as last quote