BUSH WINS!

chcr

Too cute for words
Gonz said:
Is/was it 40%? I've not noticed nor looked.

The non-voting public has elected, by their lack of involvement, to allow those of us who pay attention to set the mandate with their tacit approval.
Exactly my point, Gonz. It's not tacit approval though, it's apathy. not that I'm in any way certain who they'd have voted for, but obviously they didn't care enough to say.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Apathy would equate to approval. They chose to let us decide & they would live with that choice.

Had this been an aberration or even one of a few, apathy would be an acceptable position. However, this being the highest turnout in history & the previous forty some odd elections having had much the same, we have to quit assuming they don't care & begin realizing they have voluntarily turned over the management of state & will accept any choice made as the correct one.

chcr

Too cute for words
Gonz said:
Apathy would equate to approval. They chose to let us decide & they would live with that choice.

Ah, I begin to see the whole reading comprehension problem. Apathy will in fact never equate to approval. This isn't even semantics, it's a basic understanding of the language. I understand how you rationalize seeing it that way, but it just isn't so. They didn't want Bush, they didn't want Kerry, they didn't want Nader (or saw no point in voting for him), or believe that who the president is really has no effect on their lives, so they didn't vote at all. That is apathy but is certainly not approval. They do, however, have to live with the choice (and have no right to complain about it).

Thulsa Doom

Gonz said:
Not at all. Population centers vote for handouts & the other 90% vote for taking care of themselves.

spoken like a true advocate of impossibly broad stereotypes. And whats "the other 90%" again actually? Are those people? That is constituants? or is that empty land and desert and grain fields and majestic mountains and snow covered plains and thousands of square miles of scrub land without a soul sitting on them?

*breaks into song* Oh beautiful. For spacious skies. For amber waves of...

*ahem*

or should I say:

This land is red land!
It is not blue land!
From (eastern) California.
To (just west of that communist welfare queen bastion of) the New York Island.
Aside from Liberal traditionals in Minnesota
to minority saturated ghettos in south flo-ri-da
This land was made for reds only...

I got a shot gun
And you dont got one
If you dont get off
Ill blow your head off.
Ill declare a sweeping mandate
although I only won 51 to four-tee-eight...
This land was stolen from indians just for me...

HomeLAN said:
Thanks for once again justifying the EC system. That's the whole fucking point.

The whole fucking point of what? And where was I saying we should do away with the entire electoral college system? I was just commenting on the fact that Gonz's glee in the redness of the map was based on an illusion. 51%? Although since you brought it up I DO think it would make more sense to split the electoral votes based on the percentage of popular vote in each state. Kind of like they proposed in Colorado. Repubs dont like that though cause then youd have a lot less red. Youd have a muddy mix of blues and reds in most states. Although Im pretty sure youd still have the same result in this years election. Havent run the numbers though.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
TD said:
empty land and desert and grain fields and majestic mountains and snow covered plains and thousands of square miles of scrub land without a soul sitting on them

Oh please then, tell me, how did those colors manifest themselves without voters? In the counties in the USA the constituents for the red outvoted the constituents for the blue. Over & over & over & over this happened. County by county your guy lost. State by state, your guy lost. The main bastion of liberalism lies within population centers where people have forgotten how to care for themselves & instead rely upon some servant of the people to do their bidding. 51% is a majority. 51% is more than Clinton ever received. 51% wins, handily.

freako104

Inkara1 said:
Start at the bottom of California. The red county on the left is San Diego, and the blue one on the right is Imperial. Immediately above those two is Riverside, and the big-ass red one (bigger than a lot of entire states) is San Bernardino county. There are two to the left of it, the lower one (blue) being Los Angeles and the upper, red one being Kern (ResearchMonkey's home). To the left of Kern, sandwiched between the blue counties of Monterey to the north and Santa Barbara to the south, is the red county of San Luis Obispo. That's where I live.

Interesting tidbit: notice how most of California is red, and yet Kerry won the state? That's what would happen if we abolished the Electoral College, except on a much larger scale. You can see that the vast majority of the nation is red, and yet Bush only won by 3 percentage points. If you picked the right ones, all you'd have to do is change a total of 3 or 4 counties to blue from red and Kerry would have won the entire election. More evidence: only a small fraction of Pennsylvania is blue, and Kerry won that state, too. Same situation in Oregon and Washington. But I'd rather have my vote cancelled out by someone in my own state than someone three time zones away.

since most of CA is red I would have said give it to Bush. I am not a fan of Bush by any means but he had the popular vote there since most of it is red

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Now, do you see the reasoning behind the electoral college? Los Angeles, San Diego & the Bay area controlled the voting of about 60 other counties. Now look at NY State. Controlled by NYC. Same for Illinois. Chicago singlehandedly handed the Republican voters a white wash of their votes.

Thulsa Doom

purple_america_2004b_small.gif

Hey Gonz heres your proper map.

freako104

Gonz said:
Now, do you see the reasoning behind the electoral college? Los Angeles, San Diego & the Bay area controlled the voting of about 60 other counties. Now look at NY State. Controlled by NYC. Same for Illinois. Chicago singlehandedly handed the Republican voters a white wash of their votes.

I still feel it should be popular election