C++ and Linux

catocom

What's the best Linux distro to setup for intermediate c++ programming/compiling?

My nephews is progressing, needs more resource, and the budget is near non-existent.
I did just buy him 2 new books though.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Any Linux distro will do fine, as all of them (leap of faith) provide g++ compiler or a way to install it.

Personally, I like to work on Debian for servers and Ubuntu for workstations/development. However, since most of the stuff is ran on the servers, my workstation is mostly a ssh client and all the work is done on Debian.

I think Ubuntu will be fine for your nephew, just make sure he gets the LTS version, you don't want him reinstalling a development computer often.

catocom

I like ubutu.
It really seems to be coming to the front.

I think I'll see what he can really do before the lts though.
I do good backups, and teach it. ;)

Thanks Greatly for the info. :)

Altron

If you don't like gnome, there's also a distro of ubuntu that uses KDE, it's called "kubuntu". I like it a little more.

catocom

meh, gnome is starting to grow on me now.
I do like some of the kde apps though, but I think they might
charge for it in the future.

I got qt setup on it yesterday, and it looks pretty good for visual programming.
(installed all the g++, and gcc stuff through synaptic)

Luis G

Staff member
meh, gnome is starting to grow on me now.
I do like some of the kde apps though, but I think they might
charge for it in the future.

You can install the KDE apps an run them from Gnome. I like Kile (LaTeX) and k3b (burning).

catocom

yeah I'll probably look at it as needed. I'm lazy =D
I do like kb3 a great deal though, so I might do that first.

Luis G

Staff member
I do good backups, and teach it. ;)

btw, I was more talking about the time wasted doing reinstall and restoring backups instead of investing it doing some development.

You never know when you might need an extra package just to find out that your version is no longer supported (i.e. no repositories).