Cable Modem diconnecting...

Aunty Em

... a minor irritation at the moment is my cable modem which keeps disconnecting from time to time for no apparent reason. I get a windows pop-up telling that there has been an unsafe disconnection and I have to reboot the computer to get it back. I thought it might be something to do with my flash drive software, but I have removed this from the computer and it's still doing it.

It's an Ambit 351000 and is connected via USB - I don't have an ethernet card. I'm running Win 2k Pro sp4, but it was doing this before I upgraded. Any suggestions as to what may be causing this would be helpful.

chcr

Too cute for words
Have you tried another usb port, Aunty?
You might also call your provider to see if they're having an issue. I know that here it can be storming fifty miles away occasionally and I'll get kicked off. You might also check your TCP/IP settings.

Is it telewest? if it is might be related, i've went slow or dropped a few times today, maybe they're doin works, my mate with NTL lost his a few times today as well.

Aunty Em

I've been onto tech support, the guy there checked that the modem was working ok, which it is.

Anyway, we went through what OS etc... which it should be working fine with apparently... then he asked me what chipset. When I said Via he said that the Via USB drivers do not work as well with this modem and we both suggested changing to a nic at the same time, as they are more stable.

So I have just ordered a Belkin 10/100 nic (with patch cable) for £12 inc postage which should be here by Monday at the latest. Hopefully this will cure the problem. I needed one anyway if I'm going to network the computers together. :shrug:

I'll get a router and another card when we come back from holiday. I'm saving my pennies for having a good time at the moment.

Yes some VIA chipset boards don't do well with the power requirements of USB modems, using ethernet is much better. If you did'nt/couldn't do ethernet then a usb controller card woulda been the next choice. I've had major problems in the past with Alcatel modems (usb only on some models) and VIA chipped boards. If you're only recently using that board with the modem, yup using ethernet will sort it otherwise if it was working all the time you may have flaked out the USB circuit on the board finally.

Aunty Em

I'm with NTL btw. I'm just having a look at the installation disc to see if I have to install anything else driver wise. :)

Aunty Em

:lol: I don't usually have a problem and when I do they sort it out pretty quick. I guess it depends on which area you live in... :shrug: