"California courts have held that...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
...parents do not have a constitutional right to homeschool their children," California Justice H. Walter Croskey said in the 3-0 ruling issued on Feb. 28. "Parents have a legal duty to see to their children's schooling under the provisions of these laws."

Parents can be criminally prosecuted for failing to comply, Croskey said.

"A primary purpose of the educational system is to train school children in good citizenship, patriotism and loyalty to the state and the nation as a means of protecting the public welfare," the judge wrote, quoting from a 1961 case on a similar issue.

Union pleased with ruling

The ruling was applauded by a director for the state's largest teachers union.

"We're happy," said Lloyd Porter, who is on the California Teachers Association board of directors. "We always think students should be taught by credentialed teachers, no matter what the setting."

A California appeals court ruling clamping down on homeschooling by parents without teaching credentials sent shock waves across the state this week, leaving an estimated 166,000 children as possible truants and their parents at risk of prosecution.

California used to be the bastion of the rights of the individual. It used to point to NY & other "back east" locales as an example of what not to become, due to their taxes, laws & regulations.

California has become the example of not what to become. Sad, such a beautiful place.

Source

You will get indoctrinated or else. All your kids are belong to us.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
"A primary purpose of the educational system is to train school children in good citizenship, patriotism and loyalty to the state and the nation as a means of protecting the public welfare,"

It's what you advocate. You oughta be orgasmic.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Context schmontext. The feds have spoken. Thou must obey. Or be declared "in rebellion". And we all know what happens after that, now don't we?

Too bad that what you're standing for is right. Too bad it's in the best interest of you, your children, and future generations.

Too.

Fucking.

Bad.

Now duckwalk yourself back in line before we send the troops. We MUST be unified.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Yep. Appelate court. Meaning that to get any different outcome is gonna cost beaucoup dollars. Dollars paid by....anyone? Anyone?...You guessed it. The people advocating for home schooling. I'm willing to guess they share a few demographics too.

Pink Floyd said:
All in all it's just another brick in the wall.

We're about two to three points from gettin this onion peeled I'd say. Wonder how smelly it'll be...and who'll end up cryin...

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort

Governor...will enact something...to reduce state taxes. Yeah. Hold your breath on that'n.

In case anyone is unaware, the NEA is the most powerful lobbying group afoot. Better gird yer loins right good if you plan on buckin 'em. Fewer students equals fewer dollars available equals less pay for public school teachers equals y'all ain't SEEN pissed off yet.

This is more entertainin than anything on the TV.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
We MUST be unified.

What is it you fail to see?

As the nation we are (and were), has greater strengths than two nations. We started with a unified front & defeated our enemy, ensuring a new idea, with common goals.

When the division came, it was brought about by several conditions, INCLUDING slavery & the increase in federalism. The division of our nation weakened both the North & the South. The human condition was far different in 1860 than in 2000. The greatest changes in the south occured after mass industrialization, not before. You are not fighting for the same place that your grandaddies fought for.

The argument that unity is unity doesn't hold water when talking about something like the proposed unification between Canada, the US & Mexico because we did not start with the same ideals & common interests. We would be starting somethign new, not preserving what is.

The Civil War was fought on lands both north & south of the Mason Dixon. The injustices of war were atrocious, whether committed by the bluebloods or the rednecks. How is that different from any other war?

Had we become the USA & the CSA, we'd not be what we are today. Good or bad. In fact, there's a good chance neither of us would exist. The EU is a prime example of the mess we'd probably have.

Fighting to keep our values & freedoms from a government that is run by people looking to buy your vote (and winning by the way) & looking to indoctrinate your children is our common goal. Instead of fighting the current fight, you continually bring up somethgin that neither of us can change. That war is over & decided.

This one isn't.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Had we become the USA & the CSA, we'd not be what we are today. Good or bad.

Precisely. Glad you finally figured that out.

That war is over & decided.

This one isn't.

Perhaps. But the effects ring today. I feel them every day. Just because you don't doesn't invalidate them, nor does it mandate that I nor anyone else stop trying to improve what was handed to us. And until you lose something that matters to you, you'll never get it. When you do, it'll be too late. You'll understand, but it'll be too late. You'll gripe, like I do. But it'll be too late. You'll wake up every morning and pine for what was, but it'll be too late. You might even be so dedicated, so furious, so intense that you'll fight what you have to fight to try and get it back. THEN you'll really understand.

My cold dead stiff hands. Not one nanosecond earlier.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
SnP said:
And until you lose something that matters to you, you'll never get it.

What did you lose? If I recall, you are younger than I (not by much). My momma was born n bred in Mississippi - I've spent my time in the old south (living & visiting). She doesn't recall the march on Vicksburg. Neither do I.