Canoe vs. kyack

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
beg all you want. It won't change the fact that I sank 6 canoes and left a dozen girl guides swimming to shore in very wet, very see through t-shirts ... and was the camp hero for that weekend. Yours obviously were equipped with flotation tanks. Theirs weren't.

If by floatation tanks you mean that small triangle of fiberglass over the bow and the stern I'd have to say no. The aluminum ones had them, but the ones I usually used had none. They were the old (late 1970's) 7 foot Coleman Canoes.

Gato_Solo

Nah Prof is all aboot the fun-bags.

I am of the belief that he dumped the scantily clad women (girls) overboard and claimed the canoe sank...Thats just my opinion, though. Maybe Canadian canoes are built differently...

Professur

If by floatation tanks you mean that small triangle of fiberglass over the bow and the stern I'd have to say no. The aluminum ones had them, but the ones I usually used had none. They were the old (late 1970's) 7 foot Coleman Canoes.

Didn't need them it had flotation material sandwiched between the layers of fibreglass, or it wasn't fibreglass at all, but poly.

Professur

I am of the belief that he dumped the scantily clad women (girls) overboard and claimed the canoe sank...Thats just my opinion, though. Maybe Canadian canoes are built differently...

They were in aluminium canoes .... and I made damn sure they sank by filling the flotation tanks with water the night before.

Gato_Solo

Didn't need them it had flotation material sandwiched between the layers of fibreglass, or it wasn't fibreglass at all, but poly.

I'm sure they weren't poly. I was there when they were purchased, and my memory isn't that bad yet. :p As for material between the layers I can't be sure.

Professur

I'm pretty sure of it. I remember the industry was unhappy with the flotation tanks because they almost always leaked because of hot-cold deformation. One company I remember took a flat sheet of the material they made their boats out of to the outdoors shows, about raft size ... 4x6 or maybe 4x8 ... they just tossed it into a pool and then walked out on it. The flat sheet supported the speaker through his entire spiel. But it was expensive.

Gato_Solo

I'm pretty sure of it. I remember the industry was unhappy with the flotation tanks because they almost always leaked because of hot-cold deformation. One company I remember took a flat sheet of the material they made their boats out of to the outdoors shows, about raft size ... 4x6 or maybe 4x8 ... they just tossed it into a pool and then walked out on it. The flat sheet supported the speaker through his entire spiel. But it was expensive.

Sounds impressive though.

The hull seemed to be semi-flexible, the front and rear corners were open. It had an aluminum 'cap' all the way around the top edge that supported the two seats (one fore and one aft). I never used the seats. I always knelt in the middle right on the deck. Seemed more natural that way.

Sharky

Airboat.jpg

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Oh yea....get a kayak & go into a shipping channel & save the dolphins or the tuna or sumthin'.

2minkey

bootlicker
Oh yea....get a kayak & go into a shipping channel & save the dolphins or the tuna or sumthin'.

why would anyone want to do that? i'm sure "fuck with fishermen" is up there with "fuck with bikers" on the "never do this" list. plus i'd imagine the really tasty ones are swimming around out in the open water, not in shipping channels.

chcr

Too cute for words
Try hauling a full camp kit in a modern two person kayak, then tell me how great they are...

Well now... Kinda depends on what you think is required for two people to camp, doesn't it? You can sure as heck haul more detritus (in and out) in a canoe, no question.

Gato_Solo

Well now... Kinda depends on what you think is required for two people to camp, doesn't it? You can sure as heck haul more detritus (in and out) in a canoe, no question.

Tent, sleeping bags, change of clothing, towels, washcloth, food, fire ring, water purification (pump w/integral filter), fire source (unless you're good with friction methods), camp axe, knife, personal items, 'mess kits'...Thats just the basics for one weekend.

Professur

Funny, all we took was a couple of blankets and a shitload of condoms. The girls brought all the rest.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
why would anyone want to do that? i'm sure "fuck with fishermen" is up there with "fuck with bikers" on the "never do this" list. plus i'd imagine the really tasty ones are swimming around out in the open water, not in shipping channels.

Never seen the SF Bay on a weekend have you? Idiots filling every swell imaginable, thinking they have a "right to be there"