Car maintenance

greenfreak

I just recently came into a little bit of money and after I pay off my insurance for the policy period, make payments on my bills and put some into savings, I still have a few bucks. I decided to spend a bit to make sure my car is in good running condition.

I just got my oil changed and I'm almost at 100,000 miles. I bought the car at 60,000 miles and need to get my brakes done soon. I'm going to buy an air filter and put that in myself because I usually find that people love to charge too much for it. As long as the car is at the garage, any suggestions on what other maintenance I should be doing?

A while back, Kruz suggested getting my antifreeze changed which I'll ask them to do, but how about a tune up? How much does that usually cost? I've got a 2.2L 4cyl engine. It's a 1996 Chevy Cavalier LS.

Thanks guys. :)

Squiggy

ThunderDick
If you've put 40K on the plugs, its probably time for the tune up. The price can vary greatly and so can the service. They usually try to convince you to go for new ignition wires which can be really expensive. They love to play that game. A new fuel filter is probably wise too...Oh...Check your belts. :wink2:

Professur

I could put something useful here, but I'm not gonna. Kruz and Deanril are pros. Listen to them.

Oh Kruz...

greenfreak

Yeah, I went back to the last time I asked a similar question at JJR's and Kruz suggested a timing belt but then later said no worries cus I don't have one in my car. :D

Remember when I had that blow out a few months back? Ok, well you don't but I do... :) Anyway, went to a place down the block from work that came recommended from my best friend and they were cool, treated me right, didn't try to push more expensive tires on me or give me bullshit. I'll be going back to them, and I don't know if they'll push new ignition wires on me or not... But I want to be informed.

Oh, forgot to mention, I also have two recall notices sitting here that I need to get taken care of. One recall is so my car doesn't spontaneously burst into flames and the other is so that I don't lose power steering when turning and drive into a tree. Nice, huh?

Dave

new set of plugs and filters...yes.
check your plug wires for cracks in the insulation or frayed ends.
from personal experience, i've found that anything else done tends to make the car throw a clot and die. especially older high mileage cars. extra especially if all sorts of usual maintainance were not done regularly.
just my $0.02

Professur

I've a simple way to check the plug leads. Take your car out onto a seriously dark stretch of road. No lights of any kind. Turn off your headlamps and wait a bit for your eyes to adjust. Then look under the hood at the engine. If your leads are worn out, you'll be able to see them glowing in the dark.

I suppose you could do this in a garage, but I've never had one.

Mirlyn

Probably not the best of ideas in an enclosed garage </obvious> ;)

Good call on the plug leads Prof...I'll have to remember that one :wink2:

tommyj27

Not really Banned
my engine is more complex than a computer, i know, i've tried taking it apart to fix problems before, i ended up with a pile of wires and tubes and no clue where they went.

Dave

i stopped working on my own cars many a year ago for the same reason. i hate those extra parts.....

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Once I went from mechanical to electronic systems, I stopped doing everything but filters, belts, and oil changes...and I don't like the hassle of moving 5 fuel lines and one fuel distributer to get to my air filter...Damn Bosch M-tronic system...

Aunty Em

I used to do all my own maintenance, but I no longer have the time or inclination, so I have a friendly mechanic over in Brightlingsea (10 miles away) who is straight with me and does my servicing and anything else that needs doing and doesn't ask an arm and a leg for it. In fact the whole family use him. :)

Kruz

I would have the plugs changed, fuel filter, air filter, pcv valve, and look at the belt on the passenger side of the engine, if it shows signs of cracking-replace it!
have them check and top off all fluids... while they are checking your brakes make sure they check the brake HOSES for cracking or seaping brake fluid.. if your radiator and heator hoses are still origanal it might be a good time to change them aswell.
OH .......................... and a new pine scented air freashner:headbang:

drkavnger99

tommyj27 said:
my engine is more complex than a computer, i know, i've tried taking it apart to fix problems before, i ended up with a pile of wires and tubes and no clue where they went.

hehe been there done that! but haven't we all who can build a computer with their eyes closed dibble dabble into other things to fix or build! :retard:

Aunty Em

drkavnger99 said:
tommyj27 said:

hehe been there done that! but haven't we all who can build a computer with their eyes closed dibble dabble into other things to fix or build! :retard:

I started the other way around ~ motorcycle and car engines first. But now I'm older I prefer more sedate pursuits like tinkering with computers and robots ~ it's not so physically demanding and I don't have to freeze my ass off in the garage. :D

greenfreak

Kruz said:
I would have the plugs changed, fuel filter, air filter, pcv valve, and look at the belt on the passenger side of the engine, if it shows signs of cracking-replace it!
have them check and top off all fluids... while they are checking your brakes make sure they check the brake HOSES for cracking or seaping brake fluid.. if your radiator and heator hoses are still origanal it might be a good time to change them aswell.
OH .......................... and a new pine scented air freashner:headbang:

:laugh: I never liked pine scent, it always reminds me of cleaning solutions. But since it's green, I put up with it. :D

Thanks Kruz. I might have to bring the car back more than once to get all this done. I'll go in and hand them a list, in priority order and ask them how many days it will take. :)