cd burner question

tonksy

ok, so my soon-to-be ex says he was goin' to buy me one if i burned him some CD's...i said "sure!"....then his stupid boss says that his car stereo will not be able to read the mp3's....but i thought that if i had the songs loaded on my media player and used the 'copy to cd' option that it would burn it in cd format....am i wrong? i really want him to buy me one but he'll only be listening to them in the car for the most part and won't foot the bill if he can't listen in the car.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
You can burn them as a data CD which would make them MP3s. Or you can burn them as an Audio CD which will translate them into AIFF format like regular music CDs. Most CD players CAN play MP3 CDs though. :D

Inkara1

I wouldn't say "most" support mp3s.

What I end up doing is using WinAmp to write them into wav files, then using Adaptec EZ CD Creator 3.5 (yes, it's old) to burn an audio CD. When I drag the wav files to the CD and then burn it, when it's done it plays in any CD player.

It used to work out really well for me because I could open the wav files in Creative Wave Studio and fix the volume, excessive silence at the end or beginning, etc. But lately Wave Studio has taken up the habit of opening the file, then when I make a change and go to save, it tells me I don't have sufficient memory. At that point, it corrupts the wave file and no program can open it anymore.

chcr

Too cute for words
Actually, not that many support mp3, but as Squiggy says when you make an audio cd it's not recorded in mp3 format. I have both. an mp3 cd holds 100+ songs (depends on your bitrate), a regular cd might hold ten to fifteen depending on length. Bottom line is you can record cds that will play in your future ex's car though. They just wno't be mp3 cds.

tonksy

i dunno yet...haven't bought one...any suggestions for a good cheap one?

BTW winamp is the devil to my computer :shrug: freezes up.

chcr

Too cute for words
I like Musicmatch, but I use the premium (not free) version.
Missed it Gonz. I use Nero too, but usually Musicmatch for audio (lots of controls).

chcr

Too cute for words
Gonz said:
Musicmatch doubles as a burner?
Just for audio. you can rip cds with it, record mp3 cds and record from mp3 to wave cds (for tonks to play in the regular cd player). I think even the free version does all that, but it doesn't do volume levelling (handy) and you can't change the bitrate (I like 196 rather than 128). You need the premium version for that.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Wow. And here I was, only using it as free non RealPlayer/One/Jukebox thing for my wifes computer.

chcr

Too cute for words
Well, it works fine for that. It's my favorite cd ripper though. With the free version you can only do 96 bps or 128 though. Most people are happy with 128 but I swear I can tell the difference.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I'm still using Real JukeboxPlus. I prefer 196 over 128. I'll rip it on mine & they can pull it off if need be. RealOne can bite me however.

A.B.Normal

chcr said:
Actually, not that many support mp3, but as Squiggy says when you make an audio cd it's not recorded in mp3 format. I have both. an mp3 cd holds 100+ songs (depends on your bitrate), a regular cd might hold ten to fifteen depending on length. Bottom line is you can record cds that will play in your future ex's car though. They just wno't be mp3 cds.

If its the Stock cd player it may not like CDRs no matter what format data or audio she tries.There is also the differing CDRs Maxell,TDK,etc.. that may cause incompatabiltyies.

Tonks whats the Player (make,model) if possible. Burners are pretty darn cheap ,I can buy a "52/24/52 LITE-ON CD-RW DRIVE RETAIL BOX /W SOFTWARE $51Cdn" without even shopping around .I'd think you'd be able to get a decent one for around $30US?

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I use Musicmatch for my music burning too, most of the time. Got a free version of Nero for my other burning, but Musicmatch does the volume leveling, and a few other neat tricks for audio cds.

Professur

For the most part, your burner will come with a software, and that'll be the one you get used to. Nero used to be the bleeding edge, but all the others have long since caught up. If you try and borrow someone else's software, you'll soon find out that most shipped-with-drive software has been keyed to that brand, which is almost certainly not yours (otherwise, you' already have that soft, wouldn't ya).

Is he only gonna foot for a CD-RW? (forget cd-r, no worth the drive space) Or do you think he'll front you a CD-RW/DVD combo. I've heard mixed results about them, tho.

tonksy

hell, prof...i dunno...i think he is just talk anyway...i guess we'll see if he either brings one home or says "let's go get one". :shrug: thanks for the advice, everyone. :)

Rose

I use Nero now, but have always liked Adaptec more for burning cd's. I can generally cram about 20 or so songs on an audio cd.