CD-Rw help

IDLEchild

OK so it has been working fine and suddenly i get a power caliberation error (???) and now it won't read empty CDs. Empty or not all CDs show up as full and it keeps giving me a message to insert an empty cd or the right format...right format??? I insert a CD-R and it says it only supports CD-RW.

I have always used these CDs and never a problem. I tried t ofind a driver update but it is a discontinued model.

The drive in question is a Samsung SW240 40X/12X/40X CD-RW.

and help appreciated but I am predicting the worst...a replacement...

IDLEchild

Professur said:
Check the samsung website. They sometimes have a low level diagnostic tool for testing.

Not for discontinued models...the device shows up working fine in device manager. It still acts good as a drive but just refuses to burn.

Professur

It may well be. The heads on a burner are heavier than a regular reader. It tends to cause misalignments. Not a major problem for reading, but writing has to start just there. I know I've an old SCSI burner that did the same. Time to upgrade to a nice DVD -RW

IDLEchild

Professur said:
Time to upgrade to a nice DVD -RW

The signs are leading up to that. I have a new 48X sitting around so I will replace the busted one with that.

Thanks.

IDLEchild

The replacement is done and while I was at it I installed another 120.gb to the machine. I can't believe I did it....a dunce of Pcs did it.

Thanks Prof.