Chandra Levy found?

greenfreak

Police: Remains found may be Chandra Levy

WASHINGTON (CNN) --Investigators looking into the disappearance of Chandra Levy are checking whether skeletal remains found in Washington's Rock Creek Park are that of the former intern, police sources said.

Police Chief Charles Ramsey said the remains were discovered by a man walking his dog about 9:30 a.m.

"Apparently, the remains have been there for a while," he said, adding there is "a possibility" the remains are those of a female. "My understanding is that the remains are not all in one location."

A law enforcement source said a skull was found.

"We're still processing the scene," Ramsey said.

A search of Rock Creek Park last summer included the area where the remains were found, Ramsey said. The park is not far from where Levy lived in Washington.

Levy, a 24-year-old California native, was last seen on April 30, 2001, days after completing an internship with the U.S. Bureau of Prisons.

Shortly after Levy disappeared, controversy swirled around U.S. Rep. Gary Condit, D-California.

Levy's family said she had a relationship with Condit, a 53-year-old married father of two. Condit publicly refused to say whether he had a romantic relationship with her, but police sources said he admitted to one during an interview.

Police handled Levy's disappearance as a missing persons case. Despite hundreds of tips and months spent searching city parks and buildings, they got no firm leads about what happened to Levy.

Police said they did not consider Condit a suspect in Levy's disappearance, and no suspects were ever named in connection with the investigation.

Levy's parents said they wanted Condit to meet with private investigators they hired to find their daughter, but he refused.

In March, hurt by the political fallout from the Levy case, Condit lost the California Democratic primary by a wide margin to state Assemblyman Dennis Cardoza.

Source: CNN

kuulani

I am saddened for any family who experiences the loss of a family member.

However, I was irked by a comment the Levy family made on tv, blaming 9-11 for happening, because it pushed their story out of the limelight. Hundreds of people are reported missing each year, most cases are barely noticed by the public. At least the Levy family had more help than "less-known" families in the search for their daughter.

greenfreak

I just keep thinking that they searched that park already in the beginning and didn't find her body. I can't help but wonder if they could have found the evidence they needed then, but won't be able to now. :(

Q

Her body had to have been moved there after they quit searching that area. If a guy walking his dog found her, she obviously wasn't hidden too well. I'm sure there were multiple search and rescue and/or cadaver dogs in the original search, but they didn't find her because she wasn't there than.
And if she was killed by soft tissue injury, they won't even be able to determine cause of death at this point. :(

ol' man

Dam dishonest Democrats. If you can't shut em' up , kill em!

Just ask Clinton, he has done it at least once or twice.

greenfreak

You ever notice it's usually dogs or joggers that usually find bodies in parks? Damn that would suck. I'd never want that to happen to me. I guess that's a good excuse to never jog. :D

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
The actual area she was found in is pretty unaccessible, and the dog only found what was left of her skull...Current theory is that she was dumped from a car on the road above the area.