Votes: 7 46.7%
  • I can't afford time or money for charities

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I don't believe in charity "Charity begins at home"

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MrBishop

MrsBish and I don't have a whole lot of disposeable income, so we give our time for charities instead, but if we had a lot of extra cash laying abouts, we'd certainly give.

We give our time to "The Missing Children's Network" several times per year, for special events and informational clinics. I've done some work with children with learning dissabilities and for Special Olympics. It's a chore, but we do it for the cause.

Do you donate regularly? Time or money... and to whom/why?

20 a month goes to the United Way straight out of my check. I keep meaning to up it a little, but...

i donate to goodwill and a local food pantry. VFW get some cash when i have it. i've worked with special olympics and volunteered at a nursing home.

charity begins at home, sorta, I have no time, nor money, though I make sure anything I'm getting rid of goes to a charity, rather than the garbage.

I used to volenteer my time to work with disabled children, before all this going to work everyday intruded.

Timewise, I coach little league baseball, help out with the local cub scouts and boy scouts whenever I can, and work concession stands at football game for the band boosters. Mostly all stuff for the kids, maybe when I get older and the kids are gone I'll do something more for just the community.

My mother and I spend at least 2 Saturdays and 1 Wednesday evening a month at the Humane Society. I love animals and it feels so good to go over there and help out. My favorite part is spending time with the animals, petting them and walking them, just spending time and helping them feel loved.

I also donate whatever I can afford to the "give the children the world" charity. They basically grant terminally and critically ill children their wishes, which often includes trips to Disney World.

tonks said:
veterans of foreign wars.....they do alot for disabled vets and veterans hospitals and other charities.

Aah...sorry for my ignorance. :) I've thought of doing some work for my local retirement facilities...visitations etc... but I'm out of free time. In the meanwhile, I'm trying to set up something through the church where I work to try and bring in AAA/NAA. We already do Food Support and Meals-on-Wheels etc... It's not my time or money, but anything that I can do helps.

My wife is an oncology nurse and a cancer survivor. We give to the American Cancer Society and we field a team in their Walk fo Life. I also walk in the Heart Association's Heart Walk. We give food items to the food bank as well, and donate old clothes and stuff to Goodwill. I generally don't give cash to charities unless it's pretty evident where the money goes, and I rarely give anything to christian organizations for obvious reasons.

I send money to my local public radio station, and 4 local art museums. I'm on a committee at one of them and spend about 4 hours a month helping there.

sometimes. i would give to charities that help the poor,education,try to get food for hungry people,pro-choice alliances.

I have always been somewhat too eager to volunteer...But it makes me..um ....me. I've been a scoutmaster for the Explorer Scouts. And I've spent 10-11 years as a Little League coach and board member...I make annual contributions to the FOP for their 'survivors of slain officers' program. But I tend to extend most of my charity to those around me who need it.

I sponsor a few kids around the world (cost's about £2 a month, taken out of the bank account). I kinda like the idea that some lil' dudes are gettin' an education and wotnot for less than it cost's me for a pint o' beer :)

If I see street collections for any charity that looks after/helps kids I'll throw a shekel or two in the collection tin. Same with cancer-research charities .......... me grandad died of lung cancer...be nice if they could find some better treatments...and my few quid might help.

I don't do any volunteer work at the mo' (I've caught lazyitis) but I've done everything from volunteer work at an old folks home.......to helping to work on proper footpaths in the local woodland.

I have always supported the PDSA Peoples Despensary for Sick Animals, as they do help the elderly and not well off look after their pets as well as surgical operations in their many hospitals, so there is no need for animals to be ill treated or neglected. And they don't get any government help.

Nothing atm. I would donate to... errr... This forum, if i had the cash. I'm on a really really tight budget.

I was an active volunteer at my ambulance corps from 17 years old till about 26 years old. That gave me a really good look at how valuable being a volunteer is. We exist solely on the charitable donations from the people who live in the towns we serve so it's just one big rotating charity and a great system. I don't know of any other state besides New York that has such a huge network of volunteer ambulance corps and fire houses. There are very few paid services on Long Island, where I live. 90% of it is volunteer. Puts things into perspective.

I've donated to Canine Companions for Independance (guide dogs), several 9/11 charities, March of Dimes, Breast Cancer charities, local volunteer Fire Departments, memorial and scholarship funds for coworkers and their families, LILRR (Long Island Labrador Retriever Rescue organization), this website and others online. I also donate all my old clothes to St. Vincent De Paul and my old furniture or housewares to the Salvation Army.

You don't need money to be a volunteer, you can give your time. That can be much more valuable than money. I think it's divine to give to others without expecting anything in return, it's a just good thing to do.

I don't have much disposable income but I always make sure cancer societies get a donation. Usually my mom donates but if she isn't home I never say no to them, I find $$ somewhere. My dad died of complications after a boinemarrow transplant to treat leukemia and my grandfather has lung cancer.

United Way ,$10 a paycheque =$260/yr .wife donates to World Wildlife Federation ,WSPA and another I can't remember at the moment.

Back