chcr

Inkara1

He did. I guess one was within half a mile of his house, but his house is unscathed.

He posted on facebook.

chcr

Too cute for words
Did you survive the tornadoes?

Yeppers. Our place is unscathed. We watched the big tornado (there were two) from the shop at work. It flipped a semi on the interstate (we didn't see that, we were about 2 miles away from the path). As Inky mentions, the first reported touchdown was about 12 miles southwest of the house, the next one was less then half a mile up the road. The straight line path between the two spots goes right over the house so I guess we were pretty lucky. The folks half a mile up the road lost two beautiful old pine trees and all the windows in the front of their house. The folks next to them lost most of the shingles on their house and their detached garage was nearly leveled. The folks in the next two houses each lost a third to a half of their roofs, cladding and all. It knocked over a few more trees in various yards then picked up and jumped more than a mile east-northeast where it did a lot of damage to a fairly new housing development (I haven't tried to go over there, the news says people are keeping non-residents out anyway), crossed the interstate (flipping the aforementioned semi) and ripped through an older development where some friends of ours lived. Everyone we knew was okay although there were some injuries. Both of the families' we knew houses were total write-offs along with several others. AFAIK the tornado picked up again and touched down at least twice more in town. In the last (reported) touchdown spot a young mother and her nine month old baby were killed. The dad was also home, he's in critical condition. News reports over 100 houses destroyed and at least that many more damaged. Who knows how many injured but Dara heard that 41 people were admitted to the local hospital.

chcr

Too cute for words
Update: I'm watching the news right now and they say 100+ homes destroyed or damaged. I must have misunderstood the report this morning.

catocom

I saw one sometime back about the same.
I've never been as helpless feeling.

If you can't get below ground....:erm:

If you get that close, without major damage, it's awsome though.
I'll never forget the 3 I've been in.