Chevy Volt not as amped up as it was touted

Winky

16,000 new IRS agents

2rp8z8g.jpg

Professur

if it's all so simple and cheap maybe you should get into the business. i'm sure you'd find plenty of investors, once you told them all this stuff and your level of expertise became obvious. why, i can surely tell, right away.

Once again ... a useless post. no surprise really, since you've got nothing you try to ridicule those who do. I just posted all the proof anyone including you would ever need ....Save those who have reason to not want to hear.

The very first cars numbered electrics amongst them. The only thing stopping that was energy density then as now, you couldn't carry enough to get you where you wanted to go. Gm tested prototypes of hybrids in the 50s .... and even looking into gas turbines as the generator .... a technology used daily today by rail and ship... but oddly lacking in the automotive field ... even tho micro turbine engines are plentiful, cheap and efficient. I've seen one used to power a motorized barstool (www.hossfly.com) and yet, the auto industry still piss asses about with a technology that's as outdated as the incandescent bulb and as inefficient.

When the EV1 trials took place, they installed forklift style lead acid batteries ...again, old technology. BUT ... when a startup company came to them with a new, better battery ... one that would double the EV1's range ... GM bought them out, and closed the company. Why would they do that? Then at the end of the trial ... every EV1 was taken back, and destroyed .... despite the fact that every one was running well, and nearly every owner begged to be allowed to buy it. They even sued GM for the chance.... and lost.

And now ... with alternate propulsion forced on them ... the automakers sluggishly move forward, dragging their feet at every chance. Batteries are still inadequate, performance is still lacking .... and cost is prohibitive. In the 80's, 50mpg was common. Today ... the best hybrids miss that mark. How can that be? Europe happily drives about using tiny turbo diesel powered cars ... which we somehow don't get here .... and they're not even considering hybrids or electric ... because the TD cars are so clean and efficient. I'm driving about in a '85 tank, with a V8 .. and this summer, I'm converting it to propane. I'm expecting 10% better horsepower, and I can pull the catalytic converter if I please ... since the only thing coming out the tailpipe is CO2 and water. And it has a higher octane which means the engine can run at higher compression, which means cleaner still, and more power. How did Detroit miss that opportunity .... the entire system consists of a tank, plumbing and a diffuser that claps right on top of the existing carb .....my cost is $2k ... which I'll probably recoup the within 2 years just from the lower fuel costs. And once i'm done, and I've got a proof of technology ... do you think for a minute I'm not going to start offering the tech? All it takes is a carburetor and no computer ... how unusual that there's not a car built in the last 15 years that can accept this simple, clean conversion.

Sure .... it's because it's so difficult to build an electric car that there's not a clean alternative.

2minkey

bootlicker
thanks for the armchair commentary. you don't know fuck-all about automotive design or manufacturing, though i'm sure you change your own oil. sorry if i can't take you seriously, but your viewpoint obviously arises from the sidelines. no, not the sidelines. not even the stands. not the parking lot. try as you may, in this you're again like the pudgy 12 year-old in the schoolyard who passes himself off as an expert on pleasing the ladies, with his qualification being that he found and read one of his older brother's dirty magazines.

each of us only knows certain stuff. so how about i don't try to tell you about whatever kind of networking/IT shit you do, and you don't try to tell me about how cars get made... or don't?

Professur

thanks for the armchair commentary. you don't know fuck-all about automotive design or manufacturing, though i'm sure you change your own oil. sorry if i can't take you seriously, but your viewpoint obviously arises from the sidelines. no, not the sidelines. not even the stands. not the parking lot. try as you may, in this you're again like the pudgy 12 year-old in the schoolyard who passes himself off as an expert on pleasing the ladies, with his qualification being that he found and read one of his older brother's dirty magazines.

each of us only knows certain stuff. so how about i don't try to tell you about whatever kind of networking/IT shit you do, and you don't try to tell me about how cars get made... or don't?

interesting ... in the same breath that you tell me I don't know shit, you fail totally to convince anyone that you know enough to make that declaration. Tell me, what's your font of knowledge based on? Mine's based on talking to the very people involved in doing it. The people on the front line doing what the auto industry won't. So, you tell me what's your basis for telling me I'm wrong. In detail. Indeed ... since you know more than I ... feel free to specify exactly where i'm wrong.

2minkey

bootlicker
1. where are you wrong? you have very little understanding of the costs involved in vehicle development. that's obvious. otherwise you wouldn't be making the claims you are. in other words, you don't understand the business side of the business. who are these so-called experts you've been talking to? sounds more like garage tinkerers to me.

2. how do i know something about this? the automotive industry funded my ph.d. i spent five years inside the industry, mostly at OEMs working on real-world projects having to do with both PD and manufacturing and often both... though i also spent plenty of time at suppliers, from the folks that make complete IPs to a few that made shitty little parts like brackets and fasteners. i had regular contact with senior management at OEMs, people with budgets upwards of a billion dollars for new vehicle programs. much of the work i did had to do with decision-making (with cost control as the key consideration), meaning "what do we go with when X costs this much and Y costs that much?" well, slightly more complicated, but that's the general idea... and of course i was exposed to all kinds of data on what stuff costs.

3. if you were talking to someone who barely spoke english, would you try to have a conversation with them about structural linguistics? similarly, i'm not going to bother exploring details with you - you don't know enough to even understand how you are wrong, so i'm not going to bother.

Professur

3. if you were talking to someone who barely spoke english, would you try to have a conversation with them about structural linguistics? similarly, i'm not going to bother exploring details with you - you don't know enough to even understand how you are wrong, so i'm not going to bother.
Naturally.

2minkey

bootlicker
well, at least we know conversion to electric wouldn't change the powertrain envelope at all. so no cost there.

:rofl2:

catocom

I was referring to what "I've" been talking about in this thread, and that's cost of All new vehicles.
You must be confusing conversations, and people.

I think electric is great, if the price was right.
It never will be though.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Ya know, I am beginning to feel sorry for minkey. His education has made him too smart for we peons. He knows more than we do. We just trudge our way through our measly life in hopes of not arriving at the end too soon.

What he misses is the entire point of what makes America great.

The only hint I'll give is...it ain't meetings of stiff shirts that gets stuff done.

2minkey

bootlicker
Ya know, I am beginning to feel sorry for minkey. His education has made him too smart for we peons. He knows more than we do. We just trudge our way through our measly life in hopes of not arriving at the end too soon.

What he misses is the entire point of what makes America great.

The only hint I'll give is...it ain't meetings of stiff shirts that gets stuff done.

i've never felt sorry for you.

and you're right, it's guys like you that gets things done. the "stiff shirts" simply tell you what those things are.

but at least you can grumble about these things. thanks to unions. *punch*

catocom

cat, there's already a black box in your new sedan. Has been for about 20 years.

I knew some of the caddys had um, besides the onstar, but I didn't think they all did.

I don't have any post millennium vehicles 'round here anyway.
Mom's got 97 caddy I think. It might have it, I'm not sure.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I knew some of the caddys had um, besides the onstar, but I didn't think they all did.

I don't have any post millennium vehicles 'round here anyway.
Mom's got 97 caddy I think. It might have it, I'm not sure.

The computer system in most modern vehicles in not as comprehensive as the "black-box" but it can tell enough to get you prosecuted.

ResearchMonkey

LOL@minx. Do you ever experience laughs of solace at the fact that you get paid tons of cash for really doing nothing?

As long as you remember who the final boss is because we run this.