Chivalry, does it even still exist?

EvilRemix

Chivalry, the act of defending your honor and standing up for what you believe in. Its a wonderous thing, and is responsible for some of our greatest traditions. But does it even still exist? I still practice it, but I think im alone.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Good first post. I'll have to get back to you on the answer though. I'm not sure myself.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
It still exists but it's fallen out of popularity. Honor has become a commodity for most people. Some people still stand up for what they believe in, but greed, lust, and ego exert powerful control over people....
/me walks away grumbling about the decay of capitalism

Arris

"bravery, courtesy, honor, and gallantry toward women."

I definitely practice the last three, not sure about bravery though :D

drkavnger99

Chivalry I agree is out of pop culture and the unfortunate side effect of women turning the tides in relationships to play a more masculin role. Most guys grew up with a mother and father sharing the roles of parents equally in most departments which has translated into that men think they are equal to women so they can do just as much of the work as them (which is true but not very romantic)!! JMHO

Arris

I never open a door when I walk into it... or at least not until afterwards accompanied by some swearing in my head :nuts:

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I always open a door for a woman if I have the opportunity. I won't step in front of a woman just to open a door, but if she's a few steps back from the door and heading in that direction, I wait. I rarely open car doors for my wife though, I have a few times, but not all the time.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I am chivalrious (??) with women. Open their door, bring them stuff, pay the bill (if i have the money), take them home and wait til she's in, etc, etc.

unclehobart

Thats all just being polite. The chivalric code is much deeper and inflexible. None of us live anywhere near to it. If we did... every single one of our posts would begin with Sir, ..or Milady, .

greenfreak

I always open doors for people. My last car didn't have power locks so for two years, I always opened Rusty's door first and then my own.

I don't think I know many men in real life who are that chivalrous anymore. There are some diluted aspects in quite a few men I know though.

unclehobart

..and duels to the death over the most minor of affronts. Women are mere property and given as much say in affairs as the family dog. They are forbidden meaningful education and expected to remain locked away like precious glassware in a cabinet and expected to be baby factories. Seen ...not heard. Living china dolls without voice or standing.

Q

I was referring to Shadows wording, not all that outdated retarded shit you just posted. And for some reason I just never got the impression chivalry included treating women like the family dog in the china cabinet.