Chosing flowers...

AlladinSane

Next week is the birthday of a very special friend (girl). I know she likes flowers and had not received in the last times. I know she loves roses, and the natural way would be giving red roses, since I love her in a very special way. But I don't like the idea. We don't have any relationship after all and the ocasion(birthday) doesn't call for it aswell. Any ideas on what kind of flowers would make a good gift in this situation? Since this week I'm going all days to her city(Porto Alegre) I would like to buy them right now to be delivered next week. I don't know much of flowers, so any help would be apreciated...

kuulani

I don't know much about flowers, but I do know that I love receiving any kind of bouquets, it doesn't matter what types of flowers are in it.

ris

you could get a bouquet baseda round roses, i've heard that a flower called 'baby's breath' is good with it. whether you can put any other flowers [lillies, say] in the bouquet too i don't kow.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Myself, I prefer a potted plant, so that it is there forever, and I'm not throwing it out the next week.

This is a link to a good list of traditional flower meanings :)

kuulani

Ooh that's a good idea too.
For my last birthday, my boyfriend gave me two pots of pakalana (Chinese violets) that he eventually planted outside our door. These plants are still giving off sweet-smelling flowers - my favorite scent!!

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Just give red roses, two reasons: those are the ones she likes, and those are the ones that matches your feelings.

Forget about the "proper ocassions", you make your ocassion.

greenfreak

Stargazer lilies are my all time favorite. They look great, smell great and last for about a week.

I think you should get her a nice mixed bouquet, and one that smells good. (does she have allergies?) Some of them come in special glass vases or bowls that can be used later. I do think you should go to the florist and pick one out though, to make sure their stuff isn't old and wilting. One question I always ask is how long before the delivery are the flowers cut.

If you want go to for roses, maybe something different than red? Red roses are overdone-that's the easy pick. Pink, yellow or orange roses stand out though. :)

kuulani

Luis G said:
Forget about the "proper ocassions", you make your ocassion.

The best time to get flowers is when there isn't a "special" occasion. I love getting surprised with flowers.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
ris said:
i like to raise suspicion with flowers too :D

That's me, last time I bought my wife flowers, she got them, looked at me, and said "What'd you do?"

AlladinSane

Thanks for all the replies, I'm still undecided.
greenfreak Orange roses? I didn't know such a thing exist! What´s their meaning? I couldn't find in Leslie's link.
LesI'm still considering a potted plant as long as it is beautiful.
kuu: it will be a surprise. We weren't close last year, so she doesn't even dream I still remember her birthday date.
Luis: she already know what I feel, I'm sure sending it will not change anything, I'm just want to say "you're wonderful and I wish you all the happiness in the world".
Thanks to all the others who helped on this :)

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
AlladinSane said:
she already know what I feel, I'm sure sending it will not change anything, I'm just want to say "you're wonderful and I wish you all the happiness in the world".

I think that your face will say enough then, no matter what flowers you give :) I wish you all the luck you can get!

kuulani

AlladinSane said:
Thanks for all the replies, I'm still undecided.
greenfreak Orange roses? I didn't know such a thing exist! What´s their meaning? I couldn't find in Leslie's link.

Roses come in every color of the rainbow ...
for meanings, check out
http://www.gardenersnet.com/roses/roses06.htm

greenfreak

It's very easy to dye certain flowers also. We used to do it with carnations when we were younger.

Good luck with whatever you choose, I'm sure she'll love them!! :)

nalani

kuulani said:
Ooh that's a good idea too.
For my last birthday, my boyfriend gave me two pots of pakalana (Chinese violets) that he eventually planted outside our door. These plants are still giving off sweet-smelling flowers - my favorite scent!!

Pakalana are chinese violets? :confuse3:
holy crap - I just learned something ... can I go home now?

kuulani

I didn't know they were chinese violets either ... I looked it up so everyone would know what i was talking about.

Just make sure you don't confuse pakalana with pakalolo :eek:

. [/siz]

AlladinSane

Thanx all of you.
Shadowfax I would love to hug her by the day, but I'm almost sure I won't be in Porto Alegre by the date. I'll probably buy them here on monday to be delivered on thursday. Will write a very cute card to 'soften' her heart... ;-)