Cockfighting

greenfreak

What do you think of this? It's legal in DR... but is it reprehensible, or do you just not care one way or the other?

February 7, 2008 -- A sickening video of New York Mets pitcher Pedro Martinez and legendary Hall of Famer Juan Marichal laughing at a gruesome cockfight in the Dominican Republic was posted - and then quickly taken off - YouTube.

Martinez and Marichal, among the best pitchers of all time, are seen grinning before releasing two roosters.

Cockfighting is both legal and popular in the Dominican Republic.
The pair took part as honorary "soltadores" - the word used to describe the person who throws the animal into the ring.
The bird released by Martinez appears to be killed on the video.

Full story:
http://www.nypost.com/seven/02072008/news/worldnews/pedros_fowl_ball_475252.htm

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I find the practice itself nauseating and without redeeming quality.

That being said, I am also not going to dictate to another country what is and is not acceptable about their culture. Being descended from a people who suffered that on both sides of the water, and seeing it being continued to this day, I find THAT equally repulsive.

Despite the grandiose misguided ideaology of any number of individuals, America is not nor should it be the moral compass of the planet. I don't want a bunch of people from say...Mongolia for example...coming into my yard and telling me what I can and cannot do. In fact, I'd lay odds that were it tried it'd be the last thing they said to anybody. So I'll refrain from imposing my judgment on their culture beyond a statement that I find the practice sickening.

Michael Vick dragged dog fighting into a national discussion by his actions.

Pedro Martinez seems to be on his way to doing the same with cockfighting.

Who's gonna be the one to bring bull fighting into the harsh glare of the moral spotlight?

Professur

I think people need to give the touchy feely anthropomorphication of animals a rest. While I find it somewhat sickening, I find boxing equally distasteful ... but that's legal.

TexasRaceLady

I echo SN'P's sentiment. While I personally find it disgusting, I will not condemn another country's culture.

I live in rural area --- the people across the road are raising roosters. Now, I know what those roosters are for --- but nothing can be done because they aren't fighting there. Pisses me off, but the law has been out and no fighting apparatus(spurs, etc.) is ever found.

Prof, I'm with you about boxing ---- I just cannot understand 2 grown men trying to bludgeon each other to the floor.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Over here is legal. Google for "palenques" if you're interested. You can even bet legally on it.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Ok, so what about dogfighting? Feel the same way, or is it different because the animal is different?

Equally disgusting.

Dog fighting and cockfighting happen in these parts. They also happen where (collective) you live. To me that rules out even the umbrella "cultural" lame-o exception. Both are illegal, bith are repulsive, both should be heavily punished.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
What is wrong with Boxing?

Making animals kill each other for our entertainment is repugnant to me, even if they do it in the wild.

Humans in combat sports know what they are getting into (Or at least think they do)

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Personally, I'd rather watch traffic lights change than watch two people club each other in three minute spates. But to each their own.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Personally, I'd rather watch traffic lights change than watch two people club each other in three minute spates. But to each their own.

there is a science to it, though I do prefer MMA matches, faster, jsut wished they used heavier gloves, and feet pads, end the knockout fests.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
There's a science to piloting a stock car around an oval in the least amount of time too, but that's a redneck sport. Interestingly, two goons slappin the shit out of each other is a science though. Somebody splain that'n to me...

Professur

Ok, so what about dogfighting? Feel the same way, or is it different because the animal is different?

A dog is far far different from a chicken. A chicken might be bred agressive, but it's still fighting for itself. A dog bonds to it's master. A bonded dog will literally kill itself to please. I've seen dogs drop from heat exhaustion trying to stay with their masters while jogging in the heat.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
There's a science to piloting a stock car around an oval in the least amount of time too, but that's a redneck sport. Interestingly, two goons slappin the shit out of each other is a science though. Somebody splain that'n to me...

Nascar, is also a science, a study of physics in motion, too much friction, and you are slow, too little, and you are crashed.

It's just not MY cup of tea, though I do like drag racing of all things.

greenfreak

Ok next question... Those of you who think it's digusting to pit animal against animal for sport. What about hunting for sport? Is hunting only ok when you intend on ingesting your kill?

Thanks for indulging me. :)

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Ok next question... Those of you who think it's digusting to pit animal against animal for sport. What about hunting for sport? Is hunting only ok when you intend on ingesting your kill?

Thanks for indulging me. :)

tough one, I don't like hunting, I don't like the idea of it, but if it was my only source of meat, I would hunt.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Speaking only for myself...

I hunt for one reason and one reason only. I'll hunt if I plan to eat it. That means I will frog hunt. I love me a plate of frog legs.

I fish. Every chance I get. If I catch and keep it, I'm gonna eat it.

I condone hunting for one other reason, and that reason is population management. If we get too many deer in this area, they'll starve themselves from overpopulation. If we have too many bears, they'll starve themselves or migrate into settled areas and potentially harm kids and domestic animals like dogs or even cattle. They also hurt themselves by eating out of garbage cans, and what we discard ain't exactly the best diet for a bear. When those conditions are existent, I can go with thinning the herd. Trophy hunting isn't something I condone.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I'm with Snp on the hunting subject. I don't like to hunt thou.