Computer Preference

Panoramic World

Yea. My office still does hand drawings for competitions, or at a clients request, or when we do rendering projects...just to impress the public :p

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
MrBishop said:
Which is basically my issue with laptops. To get one that'll handle the pshop files that I work with without either crashing or slowing down to a freeze...I better be ready to spend some serious coin.

May I ask how much RAM does your puter have?

MrBishop

Luis G said:
May I ask how much RAM does your puter have?
My current desktop... 1/2GB
The videocard helps quite a bit, but I may have to upgrade my RAM to a full gig for some images.

We're talking 100-150MB photos (multilayered).

Luis G

Staff member
Even my laptop has 512MB of RAM and outperforms many desktops. :shrug:

I doubt the videocard helps unless you're working with a 3D API like OpenGL or Direct3D. Other than that the required video memory needed to run is 2*width*heigth*bitdepth.

Luis G

Staff member
MrBishop said:
...at about 3-4X the price, or more... cept on eBay, of course :D

Price is another issue, but laptops can do everything a desktop computer does except for the quality of gaming, and even on that department, there are some really sweet laptops.

btw, I think the retail spec is now at 512MB for laptops.

MrBishop

2*width*heigth*bitdepth

2X2400x3000x #of layers..which ranges from 4-12

115,200,000 for 8 layers. plus Photoshop's own requirements, plus WinXP.
Believe me when I say that it gets slow.

MrBishop

Luis G said:
Price is another issue, but laptops can do everything a desktop computer does except for the quality of gaming, and even on that department, there are some really sweet laptops.

btw, I think the retail spec is now at 512MB for laptops.
I don't game...but I AM short on cash most months and beyond food/mortgage/car .. repairs to the house plus an upcoming baby put most laptops out of my range fairly easily. :(

Luis G

Staff member
MrBishop said:
2*width*heigth*bitdepth

2X2400x3000x #of layers..which ranges from 4-12

115,200,000 for 8 layers. plus Photoshop's own requirements, plus WinXP.
Believe me when I say that it gets slow.

You have a screen resolution of 2400x3000??? :confuse3:

You might work images with that resolution, but the actual video memory used depends only on the number of pixels visible. So even if you could run your screen at 2400x3000x32 you would need only 27MB of video memory and two times that if using double buffer.

*unless it uses a 3D API, which I doubt.

MrBishop

I misunderstood. My screen resolution isn't that high, but the size of the files that I use slow down the system quite a bit.

TexasRaceLady

I just use my antique(1998) Gateway desktop.
It ain't pretty, but it works. And, it is paid for! LOL

I dearly love my 21" monitor. Means I can read/see everything without my glasses.

Mirlyn

Prefer a desktop for coding/working/gaming because of the dual monitors and high resolutions. However, I use my laptop just as much for that stuff due to the portability. I just wish it had a better LCD in it (to do higher than 1024x768).